Applying for work- medical forms

(7 Posts)
OrangeFlower7 Mon 28-Oct-13 16:31:57

Hello, I have not been in work for several years due to having children and health reasons. In the past when applying for jobs I remember having to fill in enquiry forms about health which asked "Have you ever suffered from..." then listing all health problems.

I thought I'd read somewhere that these are not used as much, or there was some new rule that such forms couldn't be used (possibly not before interview at least?)

Does anyone have any information on this as it's been so long since I applied for anything...Many thanks

yummumto3girls Tue 29-Oct-13 19:59:58

The Equality Act 2010 makes it unlawful to ask health related questions prior to interview.

OrangeFlower7 Mon 04-Nov-13 10:41:22

Hi thanks for your reply. Does that mean that they can ask after the interview before offering the job? Thanks

PeterParkerSays Mon 04-Nov-13 10:46:43

ornageFlower7, you may still be asked, but that section fo the form would be retained by HR, to be passed to Occupational Health if you are the successful candidate - the interview panel wouldn't see sight of it at all and it can't be used in the selection process.

OrangeFlower7 Tue 05-Nov-13 16:51:58

Great thanks, that puts my mind at ease.

DifferenceEngine Tue 05-Nov-13 17:04:38

It is a good idea to be honest with them though.

If for example ( one im very familiar with) you suffer from migraines triggered by fluorescent lighting, if you get the job and had mentioned it on the forms then you would expect them to make reasonable adjustments, like making sure you get plenty of natural light at your workstation.

If you didn't mention it, then you have less of a case to have adjustments made for you.

Difficult I know when it is something you might not feel comfortable admitting ( I might have kept my PND quiet on one form when I just couldn't face admitting it - fortunately I didn't get offered the job anyway) but if it is all done correctly it should be used to help you

Putthatbookdown Wed 06-Nov-13 17:14:27

PeterParker- I am not sure that is the case in smaller firms as they may not have HR etc and DifferenceEngine not all smaller firms can do RAs
although they are obliged to consider them.It all comes down to the relevance of the information for the job role In work involving caring for others they are allowed to ask any medical questions RELEVANT TO THE TASKS TO BE CARRIED out This is to protect them and YOU Eg a person with a bad back will be unable to do the job HOWEVER, being honest upfront is a good idea As Anything RELEVANT TO THE JOB WILL COME OUT ANY WAY IN THE END I would not offer any extra info though and keep it brief

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now