Argh I've resigned now what?

(16 Posts)
bordellosboheme Fri 25-Oct-13 15:55:42

In a fit of piqué, after a lot of head banging and frustration on my part. I sent an email to hr and my manager today. However, I am not sure if I have done the right thing. Help!
Jo

Talkinpeace Fri 25-Oct-13 15:59:36

you almost certainly have.
Type up your CV, phone up a couple of local agencies and email it to them while you are on the phone
the work you'll get first might not be great pay but it might open up a whole new avenue

FWIW I resigned in a strop and had a temp job lined up before ex boss could talk me out of it
have made my living in the new field for last 16 years

aturtlenamedmack Fri 25-Oct-13 16:02:25

What are you hoping for?
Are you hoping to resolve the problems at your current place of work?
Why did you resign?
What about a new job? What type of thing are you looking for? Same sector? Same role? Have you looked for alternative positions?
Can you financially support yourself without your job? How long for?

flowery Fri 25-Oct-13 18:09:33

If you're not sure whether you've done the right thing does that mean you want to retract it? In which case I would ring your manager as soon as possible and explain that.

Mintyy Fri 25-Oct-13 18:10:37

Help with what?

bordellosboheme Fri 25-Oct-13 18:16:25

My thoughts are not clear. Dp not happy about it and that's clouding my judgment.....

tribpot Fri 25-Oct-13 18:24:50

Well what does DP suggest?

When I resigned recently, my line manager asked me if I wanted him to hold on to the resignation letter for a few days whilst I thought things over. It sounds like you might want to ask your line manager to do that (I didn't). He did tell me though that at his previous firm he had been persuaded to un-resign, realised he had made a mistake and so had to resign again a month later. I wanted to avoid that at all costs, so I think you now need to decide:
- do you want to go back, stay back at the firm? (I would imagine not)
- do you want to accept that what's done is done and aggressively start looking for another job?

What, realistically, are your prospects of other employment?

bordellosboheme Fri 25-Oct-13 18:44:05

Thanks trip bot prospects are ok to good, but it would involve relocation. Dp is against relocation or moving of any kind. I'm a lecturer.

tribpot Fri 25-Oct-13 20:06:22

Right, I see. I think relocation without prior discussion and agreement is not really on (depending to some extent on the nature of your relationship). Presumably DP would have to find new work and relocate as well?

Talkinpeace Fri 25-Oct-13 20:13:49

OP
Half term is a funny time to resign as a lecturer
you are clearly very unhappy
you need to have a chat with a couple of local agencies and a
LONG chat with your DH
if nothing else work out where the greenest grass really lies

bordellosboheme Fri 25-Oct-13 20:40:28

Sorry don't mean to be drip feeding my energy is just really low. After I came back of ml I asked to go part time and have been shafted ever since. I asked for my full time job back and they said no. I've just had enough. They also want to change my contract to a non academic one. I've just had enough! Also looking after ds 1 and working is really killing me and my health is really going downhill at the moment.

Talkinpeace Fri 25-Oct-13 20:51:32

In that case, resigning is the right thing to do.
take a year or so out
pull in your financial horns, you'll live
get your head in a good place and then go back into it starting with supply and courses one step sideways from where you were

tribpot Fri 25-Oct-13 21:15:41

Okay so it does sound like looking for another job shouldn't be your first priority, if you can get by on what your DP earns. I wouldn't be very happy in his shoes to have been landed with the role of sole earner without discussion, but equally this hasn't come out of nowhere, you have been buggered about and are clearly very stressed and unhappy.

So, it's done. The conversation with DP is about what's next. What are the options?

bordellosboheme Mon 28-Oct-13 13:34:02

So I've just had a conciliatory email from the manager saying he was astonished by my email resignation and suggests letting it lie for a while while he investigates workload issues so that we can up with a mutually satisfying solution.

What do I do now? I've lost face by crying in the meeting (very embarrassing) and am torn between giving up and being a Sahm or carrying on with it. Dp is part time too, so I'm not sure we could survive on one salary, he reckons he spends all of his every month (though sneaking a look at his bank account he has saved a bit (4k) and also has no mortgage. Unfortunately we are not married so I have no house equity.

Please help me decide!!!

Talkinpeace Mon 28-Oct-13 14:50:38

stick to your guns .... you might even get the job back in a couple of months on better terms ....

Kemmo Mon 28-Oct-13 16:45:17

Don't rush

Give them time to come up with a possible solution.
Then take time to consider it.

And start a different thread about your financial relationship with your DP smile

And FWIW I've also cried in meetings with a boss. No big deal IMO, and it can help emphasize that they need to fix this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now