Changing careers at 35

(7 Posts)
17leftfeet Wed 23-Oct-13 23:35:48

Moral -unfortunately time to do a course is something I don't have at present, but it's worth considering for the future

bss that's really helpful thank you

moralimbecile Wed 23-Oct-13 22:01:17

Do a course in it or something to make a statement of intent to move careers? Maybe employers will take notice more if that is at the top of your cv?

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 23-Oct-13 21:39:24

You sound like a bright, adaptable person... I'm betting there's a load of employers would be glad to have you. All kinds of working environments need numerate people, and especially those with managerial experience.

Take a break from your CV, and start thinking about the big employers in your area. Start with the public sector (council, hospitals, any local branches of HMRC, passport office or similar), and big not-for-profits (universities, any locally-based charities), or private sector (manufacturers, banks, newspapers and radio stations...). Browse websites and see what jobs are on offer, don't rule anything out right away, scan through person specifications and start making a list of the qualities people are looking for that you could bend your skills to, or that you'd love to learn. Obviously, you'll want to make a note of (or just bloody apply for!) any jobs that you think, wow, that's perfect! You might not think you're ready for them yet, but at least if you know what they are, you've a better chance of working out how to get there.

With the big employers, you have a great chance of working with a team, which gives you some leeway to learn your new role, and lots of experience to draw on.

If you're still lost, seek out careers advice, and get some ideas from a pro.

17leftfeet Wed 23-Oct-13 16:58:58

Lol yes there are, well 1 big one but they seem to see stores as not relevant experience

damejudydench Wed 23-Oct-13 16:26:54

Durr... Are there any retail head offices near you?

damejudydench Wed 23-Oct-13 16:26:24

Are there any retail head offices? It's easier to change jobs within the same industry IYSWIM.

Don't cry. It's pants out there at the mo but you'll be fine. <pats hand>

17leftfeet Wed 23-Oct-13 13:18:53

I need rather than want to change career

I've worked in retail for 16 years, 14 years at management level but I can no longer work weekends or late nights

I've plenty of transferable skills, sap stock accounts, oracle/pippa payroll, Cad vision 20/20

Hell I've even got a forklift license

But where do I start?

I don't know how I can make my cv read less retail/sales

I also have a mortgage to pay so can't afford entry level positions

I'm so upset right now and can't see this ending well -sob

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now