Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Am I throwing away a good thing?

(3 Posts)
SwimmingMom Thu 24-Oct-13 19:00:51

Working from home is a huge benefit (albeit non-financial one) when you have small children. I also wfh & find it a bit lonely tbh. I think although it's tough right now, in the long run this job will be a great thing to have. So I'd suggest you cut out your work & decide with your boss how many hours (approx) it will be (after reduction). Try & stick to that number & work no more. That will give you a balance to work with.

While no rise is making you upset, in today's economy I would think that your boss - attempting to stop you leaving by negotiating fewer hours is itself a positive!

Good luck.

claggles Sat 19-Oct-13 06:13:45

Sorry should say 'work during naps' not nursing...

claggles Sat 19-Oct-13 06:12:28

Would appreciate any advice on this... I live overseas and work from home and have done for the last 6 years. After maternity leave I went back part time and am now struggling to keep up with the work as my son is a busy toddler and has dropped second nap. I generally only work nursing naps and in evenings but my workload is such that this is now impossible. I have a v low salary as overseas company and reflective of local wages which was ok as my husband is main breadwinner, anyway means I can't get nanny as would be then no point in working. Now we have a situation where I have told my boss I require a pay rise to cover child care (never had a pay rise in 6 years) or I need to resign. Boss said he will reduce my workload further but can't increase salary. I know workload will probably remain the same so am very tempted to resign but am also disappointed that I am not valued enough for a pay rise, but am also scared am throwing away a great opportunity of being able to work from home anywhere in the world. i would appreciate your thoughts, should I just suck it up or should I resign and enjoy being a stay at home mum? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now