maternity return to work rights

(5 Posts)
workadviceneededplease Thu 17-Oct-13 04:34:43

Hi, have NC for this post.

I am due to return to work after the first 26 weeks which my baby has been born, but before 52.

Can my employer change my set amount of hours and pay?

Thanks in advance.

petalsandstars Thu 17-Oct-13 04:53:23

I think you're not entitled to exactly the same role but you must return to a role with terms and conditions that are equal to or not less favourable than your previous role.

So I'd have thought if pay and hours are less then they can't do it

This is only from my experience though

PuddingAndHotMilk Thu 17-Oct-13 04:56:21

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon but my understanding is they don't have to give you your old job but do have to offer an equivalent role. I'd imagine therefore they can't alter Ts&Cs by much or you could argue it's not 'equivalent'.
Good luck thanks

workadviceneededplease Thu 17-Oct-13 05:07:22

Thank you so much for your speedy replies!

I did think this was the case and just wanted to check I'd understood it correctly.

Thanks again.

DorisShuttAgainstGhosts Thu 17-Oct-13 06:11:44

Acas say:
At the end of maternity leave, she has the right to return to her original job, if that is not possible then a similar job on the same terms and conditions should be given. If a redundancy situation arises, she must be offered a suitable alternative vacancy if one is available. If there is no suitable alternative work, she may be entitled to redundancy pay.

Quoting ACAS often helps IME wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now