Redundancy, application for new position and flexibility

(6 Posts)
17leftfeet Mon 14-Oct-13 06:44:54

I'm currently at risk of redundancy

We are still in the days of 'proposed' but its pretty obvious that the proposals will go ahead

There is a.new role that all those affected can apply for but one of the scoring criteria, with quite heavy weighting, is flexibility

I've been doing family friendly hours since I became a single parent 4 years so I have no flexibility over start/finish times or the distance I can travel

I'm obviously disadvantaged by this, can they do that?

They have said job shares and part time will be available but I currently work full time in my current location and even part time would require flexibility over start/finish times between 6am &11pm

I'm not in the position to afford a nanny and I'm too far away from family for childcare

flowery Mon 14-Oct-13 08:54:35

Depends if it's necessary for the role or not really. If they are putting that in as one of the criteria but it's really not required, then it might be worth raising it.

If they were saying "this is a suitable alternative for you and therefore we are not going to pay you redundancy because you have to take this role" then your personal circumstances would have to come into account in deciding whether it's genuinely suitable and you'd be able to reject it as being suitable and claim redundancy.

But if it's just a vacancy that you can choose to apply for and flexibility is genuinely a requirement then I can't see a lot of grounds for complaint.

What's the role?

17leftfeet Mon 14-Oct-13 10:01:34

I can't say what the role is but it has key holder responsibility which I have been doing school holidays but term time I work 8.30 to 5.30

The new role replaces my role and 1 other but is approximately an 80% change from my current position and they aren't offering voluntary redundancy

flowery Mon 14-Oct-13 10:35:57

How is voluntary redundancy relevant? Are you saying you'd like to be made redundant? In which case don't apply for the role.

As part of the proposals they should be saying what roles are available, but also should be clear what happens if you either are not selected or don't wish to apply.

17leftfeet Mon 14-Oct-13 18:11:29

Flowery what I mean is that they are not offering any incentive to opt out, statutory is the only redundancy package

I also thought that because the role was changing so significantly they had to give the option if not applying but we have been told that we have to apply

I don't want to be made redundant but if the redundancy package was improved then I may have considered it

flowery Mon 14-Oct-13 20:35:48

Ask if there is any possibility of keeping your current hours in this new role. If there is, great, apply. If they say no, then you say in that case you do not consider this to be a "suitable alternative" for you because of the significant change in working hours and you will therefore not be applying.

You also say if they have any other roles which would be a suitable alternative to your redundant role, then you are keen to stay etc etc, however as your own role is redundant, if there is no suitable alternative, you would like them to confirm your redundancy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now