Are they allowed to say this in a job advert?

(37 Posts)
LaLaLeBouef Sun 15-Sep-13 15:32:16

"Thick Skinned with a liberal sense of humour and not easily offended."

Offended at what exactly? Are there Page 3 calendars lining the office?!

lljkk Sun 15-Sep-13 15:48:18

So, um, are you taking offence at the job advert itself?
Might not be the post for you, indeed.

LaLaLeBouef Sun 15-Sep-13 15:50:26

Well why should there be a possibility of offence in any job?

prh47bridge Sun 15-Sep-13 18:41:44

To pick one example, a job with an internet security company may involve being exposed to offensive content.

Bronx Sun 15-Sep-13 18:43:12

Based on your response, it's probably necessary grin

OhDearNigel Sun 15-Sep-13 19:00:04

I suspect if you are working at something like The daily sport or a lads mag these attributes might be quite useful

SpottedDickandCustard Sun 15-Sep-13 19:02:15

Sounds like a very honest ad.

Sounds like somewhere to steer well clear of.

Less honest, more bunch of wankers I suspect.

Blessyou Sun 15-Sep-13 19:06:06

Hmm. I work with people with learning disabilities or MH problems. Sometimes, they can be very ...blunt grin
For example, I am in no doubt when an outfit looks crap or my roots need doing.
What line of work is it?

flowery Sun 15-Sep-13 20:31:07

Well there's a possibility some of the things going on in that workplace might potentially be unlawful, but 'people who might be easily offended' aren't a protected group so nothing wrong with the ad, in a legal sense.

sarascompact Sun 15-Sep-13 20:36:18

I was going to agree with the first response until I Googled to see who the advertiser was. Now I'm inclined to think that they mean "Wanted: Woman to work in clerical capacity in largely male-dominated industry. Must be willing to accept being called "Love" and happy to accept frequent references to her and other women's tits".

I may be wrong. I often am. This time I doubt it though.

HugAndRoll Sun 15-Sep-13 20:43:35

Tried to google it to see the context and can't find it. Are you able to link?

OldLadyKnowsNothing Sun 15-Sep-13 20:45:47
kiriwawa Sun 15-Sep-13 20:47:50

I agree with you sare. Although I'm not sure I'd be prepared to be insulted for £5.5k a year

sarascompact Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:40

Thank you OldLady. I got distracted. Yes, that's the advert I found.

If its the ad I found, they are looking for a lot from an apprentice!

And for the princely sum of £5-9k in the first year!

Avoid like the plague, they want the world but are paying peanuts!!

hermioneweasley Sun 15-Sep-13 20:48:59

Hmm, not immediately obvious why those requirements would be necessary in that job. I fear they know they have a lot of "banter" going on that coukd offend. Take the job and then sue for harassment!

Yup, that's the one!!

Fwiw my friend has just implemented a doc control system and is on £40k+ a year, in a male dominated industry and not once has she had to be "think skinned"

sarascompact Sun 15-Sep-13 20:51:38

Oh I don't know, Kiriwawa. I might consider £2,750 per insult, at a rate of a maximum of two insults a year with the use of "Get 'em out" and "While yer down there" charged at double rate. grin

MacNCheese Sun 15-Sep-13 20:55:41

Sound like a bunch of pricks.

Actually, could it have been hacked. The ad I mean? The it looks like its been tagged on the end of the ad. Office prink maybe?

Still, the job sounds horrendous!

kiriwawa Sun 15-Sep-13 20:56:49

grin grin sara

HugAndRoll Sun 15-Sep-13 20:59:54

In that case they're being idiots.

LaLaLeBouef Mon 16-Sep-13 02:30:29

I'm inclined to think that they mean "Wanted: Woman to work in clerical capacity in largely male-dominated industry. Must be willing to accept being called "Love" and happy to accept frequent references to her and other women's tits".

This, exactly. I was shocked to see that a company could get away with posting this in today's world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now