What does this mean?

(14 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Fri 13-Sep-13 15:02:30

I applied for a job a couple of weeks ago, had a phone call today offering an interview. Typically, the interview is next Friday, the same day as my cousin gets married confused

I asked if there was any other dates available and the answer I got was "there will be, but for now we will put you in the reserve pile"

What the hell does that mean?!

I've asked a couple of people in RL, and the general feeling between us all seems to be that, by putting me 'in the reserve pile', if they find someone suitable in the mean time, they won't bother to interview me at all.

If this is the case, is there not some kind of equality issue somewhere? They're giving me one opportunity for interview and because I'm not available I may miss out on the chance at the job?

Maybe I've got it wrong- anyone got any thoughts?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 13-Sep-13 15:04:38

They are interviewing on one day only unless they don't find a suitable candidate on that day. Certain posts in my company we do all interviews on one day. If you can't make it on that day we only do further interviews if there was no one suitable.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 13-Sep-13 15:05:46

No equality issue, you were offered an interview you can not make they are under no obligation to offer another.

phantomhairpuller Fri 13-Sep-13 15:16:57

Thanks for clearing that up lonecat.

Still seems a tad unfair to me, but then I suppose I would think that!

Such is life I guess.

tywysogesgymraeg Fri 13-Sep-13 15:21:22

It's a shame, but I don't think it's unfair. Could you ask for the first slot of the day maybe, then leg it off to the wedding straight after the interview?

phantomhairpuller Fri 13-Sep-13 15:32:16

I did consider that tywysoges, I explained that I'd be available in the morning if they could offer me a slot then but apparently the interview process doesn't start until 1pm.

The wedding venue is actually only 15mins from interview- how do think they'd feel about me turning up to interview in my wedding garb?! wink

takeaway2 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:36:32

I don't think it's that unfair... but I think you will need to think about how close your cousin is to you, whether you have a fundamental role at her wedding or are you just a guest, how long the interview is going to be and how much you want that job.

I'm not saying 'it's just a wedding' but other than immediate family, I wouldn't necessarily cross the ocean to attend (you know what I mean). I've not attended cousins' weddings because they were too far away (cost too much in plane ride) and that's perfectly fine. These were cousins I grew up with so were pretty close too.

what time did they say the interview was going to be and what does does the wedding actually start?

Crinkle77 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:38:57

I think yabu. I don't really see why it is an equality issue. What if all the candidates asked for alternative arrangements to be made? In my place of work there are normally 3 people on the panel and usually it is difficult to find a time when they are all free so maybe this is why they can't interview you earlier. You have asked if they accommodate you and they can't so think you just have to accept that it is bad luck. As a last resort can't you just change your outfit when you get to the wedding?

TheContrastofWhiteonWhite Fri 13-Sep-13 15:43:13

How keen are you on the job? If it's a dream, or not likely to come up often or whatever, and they're only 15 minutes apart I would really try and do both. If you spoke to them, maybe they could put your interview in the dead time between ceremony and meal. You could dash off, suit in the car, and be back basically before anyone noticed. I am sure that they would be sympathetic if you asked if there was somewhere you could change when you got there too. Shows commitment, which has to go in your favour!

PractialJoke Fri 13-Sep-13 15:43:39

It's unfortunate but not unfair. I don't think it's unreasonable from their point of view to have set aside one day (or half a day) to interview a first batch of candidates and if they are happy with one of them, not to bother with any more interviews.

I also think, not jumping a the chance of an interview will have painted you in a poor light, whatever the reason. This is their first contact with you and first impressions matter.

takeaway2 Fri 13-Sep-13 15:44:50

and just to add, I think unless you are interviewing for a very high, senior headhunted position (where they might bend over backwards and reschedule) I think you need to make their date/time call.

I am part of interview panels and we agree these dates often before the job even goes out to advertise. This is because we need to balance so many people's diaries....!

TheFallenNinja Fri 13-Sep-13 15:46:20

Equality issue? I despair.

phantomhairpuller Fri 13-Sep-13 15:54:08

Despair away ninja. Have I posted in AIBU and not realised it?

TheContrastofWhiteonWhite Fri 13-Sep-13 15:57:25

I think the point is that equality issues are about race, religion, disability, sex, etc. They aren't actually about the personal convenience of the candidates. The term gets bandied about in a lot of places it has no meaning except 'that's a bit unfair'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now