Quitting teaching

(8 Posts)
manyhands Thu 12-Sep-13 21:16:05

Have a look in the TES jobs section under the other workplaces section, interesting jobs but out of the classroom.

duckyfuzz Tue 10-Sep-13 13:10:07

I've just quit teaching after 17 years. I have 3 different jobs now, all home-based, 2 are self employed consultancy jobs, one of which is with the school I have just left. I found the other 2 through the guardian jobs site. I am not taking home anything like what I was before but I am loving it (only in week 2 though!).

GrendelsMum Tue 10-Sep-13 13:05:30

I'd recommend taking a good look at the Guardian Jobs section (or similar) and working through all the job requirements and descriptions to see what matches well with your skills. As people have said, you may have difficulty matching a teacher's salary in the short term, but you can't tell if you don't go through the job ads.

Jobs tend not to be advertised at part-time, so you may need to look at full-time jobs and then ask about part-time opportunities at interview / if you get the job.

veeeee Sun 08-Sep-13 15:49:02

I worked in industry for 3 years before teaching so I'm not "just a teacher" per say.

CaptainSweatPants Sun 08-Sep-13 14:57:05

I too think it would be very hard to move into a new job with same hours & salary without training
You could think about going into higher education ? Lecturing ?

The LA have teaching jobs without teaching. They're for ex teachers.

School liaisons or summat?

Ofsted inspector? - good pay

BackforGood Sun 08-Sep-13 14:55:24

I have empathy, but no suggestions. In effect you are looking to start again, so to limit it to jobs where you will retain the salary of a qualified and experienced teacher, might well limit you completely I'm afraid.
Only possible option where it might be possible is if you went into something like teaching students at a teacher training college, or some sort of advisory teacher role - so you are out of school on a daily basis, but using your skills and experience. Depends how much you want to change from your current role. Only think is of course, with Gove trying to do away with LAs altogether, it seems unlikely that there will be advisory roles advertised anywhere.

veeeee Sun 08-Sep-13 14:47:21

Please, please give me some advice!

I've been a Secondary Science teacher for 9 years and for many reasons have now decided it's not what I want to do any more. The problem is, I have no idea what I can do instead! I need to at least match my salary since I am a single parent with a mortgage but I would ideally like to keep my 4 days/week.

Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now