Nursery nurse having problems at work ...... not sure what to advise her ?

(8 Posts)
vegpatchvirgin Fri 06-Sep-13 20:00:05

My son's girlfriend is 19 and has been working for a particular nursery since leaving school. She has completed her level 2 training but is only due to finish her level 3 in January.
Trouble is, she has been being paid only £400 per month as she has been classed as an 'apprentice' and the government funding for this will end in October. The nursery have told her today that as the government funding for her will end in October, from then on, they will not be paying her ! They will 'allow' her to continue working there (for free !) so that she can finish her level 3.
This all sounds rather awful to me, and I'm not sure if they are allowed to do this ? I suppose her 'options' are to work for nothing over the Christmas period but actually get her level 3, or leave and try to get another job and hope that they will fund her to complete her level 3.
Any thoughts or advice pls ? Thanks.

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 06-Sep-13 20:03:56

I assume she has completed the college part, but has not yet completed her NVQ portfolio?

vegpatchvirgin Fri 06-Sep-13 20:38:09

Not sure really, have only had a pleading call from my son today asking for help and advice ! Since I work for the emergency services, I can't really give much relevant advice, hence my post on here !! I will find out out ..... does it make a difference Lonecatwithkitten ?

loflo Fri 06-Sep-13 20:45:29

Vegpatch can you share where in the country you are? I have knowledge of the Scottish system if that's any help?

Does she have any kind of contract, and what does it say?

I would suggest checking that first and take it from there.

It is a very harsh way to treat someone although for the sake of a few months if it turns out they can do this and she is able to finish the course with them "working for free" then it would be better for her to do that, obviously.

Could she start looking for other jobs now anyway so that she has something else to go to in January and you never know, she could ask if she could finish her training with another employer too. If they have to fund her training too though that may be unlikely.

It does sound as if they are being very unfair to her, and she may not be the only person in this position. Could she ask her class mates if they have had similar from their placements? If so how are they dealing with this?

Just a few ideas, hope you work something out x

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 06-Sep-13 20:46:59

Yes it does. If it s they portfolio that she needs to finish she needs to find a new placement with an A1 assessor who is affiliated to normally the same college as the one she is already working with to finish her portfolio. I would suggest that actually she looks close at what she needs to complete before the end of October and crack on with as much of it as possible.

vegpatchvirgin Fri 06-Sep-13 21:27:55

Well, the good news is that her assessor is her tutor from college who has told her today that she will still be her assessor wherever she is working (she doesn't drive so will be local anyway !). Her mum has also offered to pay for any fees needed for her to complete her qualification. Apparently her portfolio is being completed as and when she meets with her tutor, they have discussions etc (seems a bit strange to me as I'd have thought that she would have to put together plans of lessons or activities for different age groups etc ... but obv I am not in this field of work !). I've suggested that she tries to get as much done as she can during their next meeting .... who knows ?!?
Thanks for your assistance ladies, at least she hasn't got a mortgage or any particular outgoings .... she'll just have to pretend she's grounded until she can get a different job when fully qualified in January !!

What seems harsh is that the nursery were not frank at the outset about how the status would change (and with it her money) sooooo could be they are down on numbers and the trainee is the most vulnerable whatever it turns out to be what is lacking is a real sense of how this impacts on the person working in amongst the rest of the staff team. I would ask the Lecturer if she could suggest another placement for the final segment of the training. If one is going to work gratis one might as well choose where it is. We have an accredited training company and we know how stressful it can be for the student if there are complications attached to a placement

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now