'Temp to perm' but they're still recruiting for the position...

(7 Posts)
FeelingMisled Sat 07-Sep-13 16:20:41

I was in a part-time but permanent job before - that's why I left... I referred to it as 'good' because I enjoyed it, it might have gone full-time at some point, and before that job I was looking for a year. I can barely face going back to that...

samuraispider Sat 07-Sep-13 14:52:50

Why did you leave a permanent job for a temp to perm role?

Temp to perm roles are never guaranteed and companies have a nasty habit of changing their minds.

If I were you I would start looking for another job. For whatever reason, your face doesn't fit. It's pretty 5hitty of your boss to email the agency saying you're not a permanent solution when you have just left a permanent job. Very doubtful you will gain anything by discussing it with her.

FeelingMisled Fri 06-Sep-13 22:45:00

I just saw some friends and am feeling much better about this. I think my boss' opinion could have changed; I know she is very happy with my work and I think I've got on well with everyone. I think I am going to ask my boss but not say that I've seen the email. I might frame it as: 'I've now been here for two weeks and I'd like to have a chat about how we both think it's going.'

MrsMargoLeadbetter Fri 06-Sep-13 22:06:20

Sorry to hear of your situation.

Could her opinion of you changed since you started?

I think you have nothing to lose by sitting down with your boss and asking about the plans for the role becoming perm. Don't allude to the email, focus on what the agent said etc.

FeelingMisled Fri 06-Sep-13 19:41:09

There was no guarantee. I know that legally, I don't have a leg to stand on and I know that's my own bloody fault. But I still think it's a shitty thing to do to someone and I'm considering asking my old company for my job back!

What did your contract say, I assume there was no guarantee.
I'm sorry you had to find this out in such a fashion.

FeelingMisled Fri 06-Sep-13 18:58:03

Have NCed for this.

I started a temp to perm job 2 weeks ago. I'm officially temporary at the moment but I have been introduced to everyone as my predecessor's replacement, done a full week of training, and taken on all his work. I am being pro-rated an annual salary. We have agreed terms in writing but I haven't signed a contract yet.

Everything was going well until today when I found an email printout while filing my boss's papers for her. It was from my boss to my recruiter when I accepted the job. My boss wrote that she doesn't think I'm 'a permanent solution'. She asked my recruiter to look for someone who's 'a better fit'.

I felt very upset when I read this as it was not what I was told by my recruiter. I was told that there would be a month's temporary period and if both sides were happy, I would go perm after that. I had no idea they would continue to search or that my boss initially had reservations about me, since she said I was by far the highest performer at interview and tests. However, I did think it strange the other day when I asked whether it was ok to put my new role on LinkedIn yet and she said, 'I wouldn't do that if I were you.'

My bosses are very pleased with my work so far and I have that in writing. What the hell do I do? I feel like such a fool. I left a good job to go to this one on the reassurance of my recruiter that the temporary period was merely a formality...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now