Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

I'm going to lose my job and I'm

(64 Posts)

Petrified

Over the last 12 months I've had recurring tonsillitis.

The company I work for use the Bradford factor, I've had 5 instances of 1/2 days do I'm
Over the 100 mark.

I am now on my final warning. Any more time off and I will be dismissed.

I appealed last time as it's the same illness, I'd asked to still come to work but do different work (I work in a call centre) but the appeal was rejected.

Low and behold I have tonsillitis again. Normally after two days of anti biotics I'm starting to pick up but I'm not and I'm due back in work tomorrow.

I can't sleep worrying. There really isn't a way round it is there? I honestly think that I'm struggling to get better as I'm in such a state worrying!

Does anyone have any advice?

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 04-Sep-13 07:22:37

Accident "book" (yep, it may well be intranet or e,ailing forms to someone) is to record any workplace accident (ie: injury or illness caused by something in the workplace), or incident (aka. Near miss... Ie: something that might have caused an injury or illness). It's broader than many people realise... If you get tingling in your fingers while typing at work, that's an injury. You get attacked by a patient, that's an accident. You get a sore neck at a computer workstation... Accident. Light fitting drops on floor beside you, no one hurt... Incident. Fumes from floor being fitted in another office accumulate in your workspace... Incident. Or if somebody suffers ill effects, definitely accident.

Note that not everything in the accident book needs to be reported to the H&S exec... They're only insist on hearing about things that lead to several consecutive days off sick. However, it's not always possible to tell what will lead to that... Eg: a sore neck from bad workstation may be fine again next morning, or you could be unable to work for a month... If the latter, it should be reported to H&S executive. As long as you've put down the details in the accident book, you've covered your end of the bargain, and made it possible for your employer to cover theirs.

noobieteacher Tue 03-Sep-13 17:48:47

If talking has aggravated it it's definitely work related and worthy of the accident book.

glorious Tue 03-Sep-13 15:10:06

Oh storm sad

Hi All

Not great had to take a few days off, think talking has aggravated it.

I guess I'll know wether it will be taken further when I return confused

LovesBeingOnHoliday Tue 03-Sep-13 13:41:35

'the accident book' is unlikely to be an actual book; much more likely to be on the intranet.

Is there a senior manager you could speak to rather than your manager, might be more informative?

glorious Tue 03-Sep-13 12:02:35

brownsauce knows far more than me but my understanding is that it's for work related things though I don't think there's any requirement to prove that to put it in the book.

How are you OP?

noobieteacher Mon 02-Sep-13 09:49:40

Out of interest brownsauce, what kind of things do you put in the accident book - can you put illness in or do you have to show that the illness is caused by working there?

HappyAsASandboy Mon 02-Sep-13 08:28:27

Storm, I know you haven't given much detail about where you work, but I think it might be the same place as me. If so, would it help to talk through the extensive policy and procedure guidance? I am a manager and unfortunately know my way around that devotion I the intranet far too well sad

I am not in the call centre part if the organisation, but it might help to have someone else to run through the documents with?

If you think I might be able to help, PM me with where you work? I might be wrong, but I think it's the same organisation.

bluecheque4595 Mon 02-Sep-13 08:24:10

When I had an office job and couldn't be off ill with a cold I discovered "Contac". Amazing medicine which takes away the pain and symptoms of a cold and allows you to function at work as normal as long as you keep taking the pills.

BrownSauceSandwich Mon 02-Sep-13 08:12:44

There MUST be an accident book. They're totally breaking the law if there isn't.

Gracie990 Mon 02-Sep-13 07:40:01

My experience of being pushed about by a big company is get clued up and fight back.

If they see you standing up to them and knowing your rights they will sort themselves out. leave you alone

Follow brown's advice. Go in work then ask for the accident book. Do it everyday. Say you have been instructed to do this by your union.

Ring the union and insist you get better help, do not forget you pay the union for help, have you legal advice with it?

Get everything written down, log all conversations, ask for a whitness. Everything need an email follow up. ( just to follow up on our meeting today...)
Have you seen occupational health? ( they will help)

You can ask to see all of your personal files if they sack you. Under data protection and freedom of information act you can insist on seeing everything written about you. ( all of the emails, notes, the whole lot) that will show them you are serious.

Ubik. I didn't realise this was so wide spread. hmm

That's a nice dress orange grin

orangeandemons Mon 02-Sep-13 07:23:43
orangeandemons Mon 02-Sep-13 07:18:28

I don't think it makes any difference whether they allow it to be a disability or not.its the law which states it.

noobieteacher Mon 02-Sep-13 00:05:20

Asthma and whooping cough! Not allowed to be ill for 12 months or you get a disciplinary? This is like something from the dark ages.

I hope you both find some support to get the justice you deserve. A word with some newspapers might help - this issue needs a media campaign.

ubik Sun 01-Sep-13 16:53:59

Op I feel your pain. As a call centre worker I have developed asthma. I suspect sitting in an airless overheated environment, talking for hours on end, even through the night (am in nights at the mo) has triggered it.

I too went through a sickness absence process after getting whooping cough last summer. I had to have a clear sickness record for 12 months afterward it otherwise I would be progressed to the next disciplinary level. Fortunately I have managed it by going to work unwell. I have a dreadful cold at the moment but am getting through nightshifts.

I don't have any advice -just empathy. Sometimes all you want is to have a rational conversation with a manager and work something out while you are unwell. You are just a number, a bum on a seat and there are plenty of others queuing up fir your job if you don't like it - this is HR's attitude.

Chipping, there are other ways I've been messed about its not the company as such, it's the lower management having very little understanding of actual process

Brown, I'm noting down everything, I'm not even sure there is an 'accident book' keeping things for my notes at the min. To be honest my direct manager has been superb and I did very little talking yesterday as he found things for me to do.

Loves, sounds like the process is exactly the same as your prev employer. (Wonder if its the same one) But those processes aren't set in stone. I've not had ohs involvement. Mighnt mention it.

Oranges, it's not quite been 12 months but I don't think they count it as disability, I know a colleague suffers from ibs and they don't count that. hmm

I've been able to rest my voice a bit today which has helped but as its healing I'm doing loads of coughing and that makes it difficult as I keep starting to tell DP something and then having a mini coughing fit! Tomorrow at work should be interesting confused

orangeandemons Sun 01-Sep-13 11:56:50

I thought they had to offer you alternative employment before dismissal. Also if you have had this thing for 12 months or so, doesn't that count as a disability? Which means y,up are protected further I think

LovesBeingOnHoliday Sun 01-Sep-13 10:43:43

Op I really feel for you. I have experience in an aging sickness in a call centre environment so may be able to shed some light for you. (there's are not my views but are tge 'rules' of my previous employer)

At tge stage you are with disp cannot be seen to be 'hiding' your absence by giving different duties. If however you know others are being given those duties for this reason you must raise this.

Have tgey suggested occ health? We would not dismiss for absence in this sort of situation without them. That means you would speak to them, can say to them alt duties until your op would help and would be a reasonable adjustment (ESP as you have a date coming for your op)

A disp meeting does not mean you will be dismissed. If they said last time that further absence may lead etc etc then Tgey have to follow that tgrough. But IMO Tgey should be stating you've had a significant improvement and with your op you should then have tge issue resolved.

It is very likely that you are on a report somewhere due to you absence, we had a monthly meeting where we had to report on cases such as yours (as you've covered as a manager you may be aware), as you also know call centers are managed very tightly and absence is no different.

If I were conducting your disp meeting I would not dismiss; you have made improvements and are doing everything reasonable to work and get fit for work and you have an op sorted.

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 01-Sep-13 09:22:00

After that... Not "are that".

BrownSauceSandwich Sun 01-Sep-13 09:20:38

I wish I was your H&S rep too... Sounds like your employer deserves a good kick in the pants.

By all means keep your own record, but these must go, every time... Every day if necessary, in the accident book. That's a legal document, and if your employer fails to respond, review their risk assessments and risk management strategies, they are in clear breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act. And if the same accident recurs, they HAVE NOT reviewed their risk management appropriately.

From what you've said, they could pretty easily put you onto working on something else for a white until you've fully recovered from your op. are that, they should probably consider rotating you (and other at-risk employees) between speaking jobs and other tasks. I already mentioned voice coaching (my mum saw a speech therapist after recurrent laryngitis during the course of her work... it worked a treat). Those would be the kinds of "reasonable adjustments" your employer has a legal obligation to make.

Once again, please, if your union rep isn't trained as a H&S rep (not all are), get in touch with head office, who will have H&S officers who can advise you.

ChippingInNeedsSleepAndCoffee Sat 31-Aug-13 16:22:28

10 years and they are still prepared to treat you like this, it's disgusting. If lower management are the problem, then upper management needs to be made aware of it.

It was commented yesterday that the number of extra breaks I had taken was 'a worry'

By whom?

I am actually livid on your behalf and I cannot convey how disgusting & disgraceful that I think they are.

Chipping, sometimes it's brilliant, the company is good in essence it's specific areas where lower management dont have a clue. I've given 10 years to this company confused

Brownsauce, I wish you were my union rep! I'm logging everything, the excuse they are giving is my role is an online agent, therefore if I can't do that then I phone in sick and face the consequences, however at any given time there will be around 6 online agents assigned to different roles, all ones i am perfectly qualified and experienced to do. My choice was to step into an agent role after being seconded into other roles for so long with no sign of them being made permanent. Why they can't have me doing one of these roles for a few weeks while I recover is beyond me.

It was commented yesterday that the number of extra breaks I had taken was 'a worry' despite this being agreed from HR. (I took 30 min over the shift) so came home feeling awful. I'm due in in an hour, really not looking forward to it as my throat feels worse.

Ah well sunday will be my day of rest.

I appreciate all the support I'm getting here. It's nice to see I'm not alone in thinking this is a bit off

brewTo you all

noobieteacher Sat 31-Aug-13 02:34:03

Excellent post from Brownsauce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now