I'm going to lose my job and I'm

(64 Posts)

Petrified

Over the last 12 months I've had recurring tonsillitis.

The company I work for use the Bradford factor, I've had 5 instances of 1/2 days do I'm
Over the 100 mark.

I am now on my final warning. Any more time off and I will be dismissed.

I appealed last time as it's the same illness, I'd asked to still come to work but do different work (I work in a call centre) but the appeal was rejected.

Low and behold I have tonsillitis again. Normally after two days of anti biotics I'm starting to pick up but I'm not and I'm due back in work tomorrow.

I can't sleep worrying. There really isn't a way round it is there? I honestly think that I'm struggling to get better as I'm in such a state worrying!

Does anyone have any advice?

orangeandemons Mon 02-Sep-13 07:23:43

That's a nice dress orange grin

Ubik. I didn't realise this was so wide spread. hmm

Gracie990 Mon 02-Sep-13 07:40:01

My experience of being pushed about by a big company is get clued up and fight back.

If they see you standing up to them and knowing your rights they will sort themselves out. leave you alone

Follow brown's advice. Go in work then ask for the accident book. Do it everyday. Say you have been instructed to do this by your union.

Ring the union and insist you get better help, do not forget you pay the union for help, have you legal advice with it?

Get everything written down, log all conversations, ask for a whitness. Everything need an email follow up. ( just to follow up on our meeting today...)
Have you seen occupational health? ( they will help)

You can ask to see all of your personal files if they sack you. Under data protection and freedom of information act you can insist on seeing everything written about you. ( all of the emails, notes, the whole lot) that will show them you are serious.

BrownSauceSandwich Mon 02-Sep-13 08:12:44

There MUST be an accident book. They're totally breaking the law if there isn't.

bluecheque4595 Mon 02-Sep-13 08:24:10

When I had an office job and couldn't be off ill with a cold I discovered "Contac". Amazing medicine which takes away the pain and symptoms of a cold and allows you to function at work as normal as long as you keep taking the pills.

HappyAsASandboy Mon 02-Sep-13 08:28:27

Storm, I know you haven't given much detail about where you work, but I think it might be the same place as me. If so, would it help to talk through the extensive policy and procedure guidance? I am a manager and unfortunately know my way around that devotion I the intranet far too well sad

I am not in the call centre part if the organisation, but it might help to have someone else to run through the documents with?

If you think I might be able to help, PM me with where you work? I might be wrong, but I think it's the same organisation.

noobieteacher Mon 02-Sep-13 09:49:40

Out of interest brownsauce, what kind of things do you put in the accident book - can you put illness in or do you have to show that the illness is caused by working there?

glorious Tue 03-Sep-13 12:02:35

brownsauce knows far more than me but my understanding is that it's for work related things though I don't think there's any requirement to prove that to put it in the book.

How are you OP?

LovesBeingOnHoliday Tue 03-Sep-13 13:41:35

'the accident book' is unlikely to be an actual book; much more likely to be on the intranet.

Is there a senior manager you could speak to rather than your manager, might be more informative?

Hi All

Not great had to take a few days off, think talking has aggravated it.

I guess I'll know wether it will be taken further when I return confused

glorious Tue 03-Sep-13 15:10:06

Oh storm sad

noobieteacher Tue 03-Sep-13 17:48:47

If talking has aggravated it it's definitely work related and worthy of the accident book.

BrownSauceSandwich Wed 04-Sep-13 07:22:37

Accident "book" (yep, it may well be intranet or e,ailing forms to someone) is to record any workplace accident (ie: injury or illness caused by something in the workplace), or incident (aka. Near miss... Ie: something that might have caused an injury or illness). It's broader than many people realise... If you get tingling in your fingers while typing at work, that's an injury. You get attacked by a patient, that's an accident. You get a sore neck at a computer workstation... Accident. Light fitting drops on floor beside you, no one hurt... Incident. Fumes from floor being fitted in another office accumulate in your workspace... Incident. Or if somebody suffers ill effects, definitely accident.

Note that not everything in the accident book needs to be reported to the H&S exec... They're only insist on hearing about things that lead to several consecutive days off sick. However, it's not always possible to tell what will lead to that... Eg: a sore neck from bad workstation may be fine again next morning, or you could be unable to work for a month... If the latter, it should be reported to H&S executive. As long as you've put down the details in the accident book, you've covered your end of the bargain, and made it possible for your employer to cover theirs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now