Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Medical sign off

(6 Posts)
PinkSpottedPJs Tue 13-Aug-13 08:11:20

Months ago I warned work that I needed a couple of days off in September for my DS. My request for leave these few days has been repeatedly refused, with no good reason given (not a busy period, no-one else on leave etc). This is obviously one of many issues I have with them, as it is deliberate obstruction.

It's not a medical emergency but my DS will need me with her these two days. It is very important to both of us.

If I am signed off work sick for these few days by a doctor, is there anything my company can do, even if they know that I am not, strictly speaking, ill. I wouldn't be going on holiday or even leaving the county, or even going out for a meal or a drink.

Lonecatwithkitten Tue 13-Aug-13 08:30:00

If you self certify they will be very suspicious and probably investigate. If you have a fit note from the doctor as you are genuinely ill it should be treated as any other illness.
Have you spoken to them about why you need to be off?
Could there be something happening that you don't know about inspection, meetings etc that you would need to be present for?

PinkSpottedPJs Tue 13-Aug-13 08:36:24

Yes, they know why I need to be off, there is no reason for the time off to be refused. No meetings, no inspections, full cover. It is just spite. There is a lot of it and this particular instance is breaking me, finally. And yes, HR know about the argument, but granting of leave requests is at the discretion of the manager, so they say. HR will always come down on the side of the company anyway sad My company doesn't even pretend to be family friendly.

olivo Tue 13-Aug-13 08:37:22

Is Ds your son or your sister? ( I know usually it refers to son but you mention 'her')

It's just that I know people who have been signed off to look after their children who were poorly. Your sister would be different though.

PinkSpottedPJs Tue 13-Aug-13 08:37:27

I would get medical sign off from a doctor; I am already seeing them regularly for work related stress, but have not been signed off for it yet. What can I say? I like my job.

PinkSpottedPJs Tue 13-Aug-13 08:41:04

Son, sorry, typo. He is not ill, but don't want to out myself by saying why I need to be with him these two days. It's not an emergency, it has been planned for months, but it's not as if I want to take him on a jolly either. Something a normal boss would just agree to in a flash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now