How are tou assessed when you go for a competancy based interview?

(8 Posts)
Allthingspretty Tue 23-Jul-13 10:27:57

How are your examples that you give scored?

Any dos and donts of compentancy based interviews and how can you shine in them?

Thanks

this was recommended to me as a good overview of compentency-based interviews

STAR is the best way to respond (more info here:

Situation and/or Task
Action (what you did)
Result

so think about situations you have encountered in the past and formulate responses based on the above, both professional and personal situations may be appropriate, and some responses may be suitable to a number of different questions if you angle them the right way. have a good google - there are lots of lists of potential questions available to help you prepare. think about what they will be wanting from you in the context of the job (clues will be in the job description), so try to prepare responses which will convey the fact that you have these skills (or the potential to develop them)

i'm not an expert by the way, others will have much better advice i'm sure, but i have just done a competency-based interview recently and was successful so i must have got something right!

lightrain Tue 23-Jul-13 10:43:54

The biggest tip I can give is to use real life examples! Follow the STAR approach but make sure you're using specific examples and not talking generally.

Allthingspretty Tue 23-Jul-13 13:35:52

If I demobsteate throughtout my application form a certain skill for example communication such as using email etc can I use a more niche.method of communication in line with what might be involved in the job?

Allthingspretty Tue 23-Jul-13 13:36:47

Thanks so much everyone for all of your help. I really do appreciate it!

Kernowgal Thu 25-Jul-13 20:27:05

I had one of these recently and my biggest bit of advice is to prepare, prepare, prepare. Presumably they will have advised you of the competencies that are required for the job - then you can think of situations where you have demonstrated those competencies (STAR as someone mentioned above).

I didn't prepare enough, and thought the interview went really badly. I struggled to give good examples, partly because I am newish to my career area, and was in a crap job before that didn't give me the chance to try being competent at anything! So I ended up using examples from before I retrained, and they were OK with that, but I did ask first.

Despite the crap interview, I got the job! Not something I want to go through again for a while, though. Have to say I prefer the old-fashioned type of interview. Didn't feel they saw the best of me at all.

MaryBateman Thu 25-Jul-13 20:37:42

How you are scored totally depends on the organisation that is interviewing you. No doubt they all have their own methodologies and scoring structures.

I was interviewing last week and it was a case of ticking off the competency descriptors as the candidates spoke and then the panel coming to a consensus on the score as to how strong the example was.

As others have said STAR is the best way to respond.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now