Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Can I 'force' my company to provide mat leave cover for me?

(2 Posts)
williaminajetfighter Wed 17-Jul-13 15:04:55

I work for a public sector organization leading a large Marketing/Comms team. I am going off on mat leave in mid-September. While my Manager/the Director of the organization has supported getting full mat leave cover for me, she is now leaving and the incoming Director (her Deputy) is humming and hawing a bit. We are being asked to make budget cuts and there are other permanent posts that have been vacant for some time. As a result the incoming Director isn't sure he can 'afford' to replace me.

If we don't hire someone to cover my role things will fall apart. I am very hands on working 12 hour days so we will definitely lose productivity. More worrying is that most staff DO NOT want to act up, many work part-time and are worried they'll be lumbered with extra work. The team needs leadership and consistency (particularly with so many part-time staff) and without it I worry there will be more staff confusion, disjointed working etc.

If my role isn't covered I am fairly sure I'll come back to a very tired and disgruntled team who have been overworked, possibly with vacancies due to some staff leaving because they are mad and lots of work incomplete. It's a not-so-fabulous situation to return to.

For that reason can I either go to my Union or insist that they cover on the basis that not doing so will put too much stress on existing staff and on me when I return?

flowery Wed 17-Jul-13 15:09:04

No. How or whether your employer choose to cover your maternity leave is nothing to do with you. Whether other staff are stressed because of a decision made by your employer is between the staff and whoever is managing them at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now