Massive hours cut since I announced pregnancy

(6 Posts)
StillPukin Wed 17-Jul-13 11:34:54

I'd love some advice; I'm guessing my hands are tied but hoping somebody would know better..

I work in a respite unit with adults with learning/physical disabilities. I am employed on a casual basis so the number of shifts vary but I usually work between 4 - 7 shifts per week. Since I announced I was pregnant my hours have been cut to a maximum of 1 shift per week and I've just had 3 weeks with no work at all.
The only 'problem' I have is that company policy will not allow me to push a wheelchair. I am fit and healthy otherwise. We have a maximum of 4 service-users in at a time with a maximum of 2 wheelchair users (it is unusual to have 2 wheelchair users at one time as space is a bit limited).
I just cant afford to lose so much work but I'm thinking with me being employed on a casual basis there is nothing I can do.

themonsteratemyspacebar Wed 17-Jul-13 11:38:19

Does a casual basis mean you are bank work or relief? Have you signed a contract of any kind?

StillPukin Wed 17-Jul-13 11:39:39

Yes its like bank staff.

Yes I have signed a contract but nothing about the hours.

HaPPy8 Wed 17-Jul-13 11:59:50

How long have you been working 4-7 shifts per week?

spacegirl81 Wed 17-Jul-13 12:15:41

Are you on a zero hours contract then? Regardless of status all employers have a duty to carry out a risk assessment on pregnant ladies, only then can they determine (with you) what tasks are suitable etc. this should then be carried out on a regular basis until you go on maternity leave.

StillPukin Wed 17-Jul-13 12:28:45

I have been working these shifts since March - so about 4 months.

Yes its a zero hours contract. And, yes they did carry out a risk assessment and decided I was ok for everything apart from pushing wheelchairs.

(Thanks for your replies)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now