Offer letter instead of contract?

(10 Posts)
saltpeanuts Fri 05-Jul-13 12:10:03

Thanks!

flowery Fri 05-Jul-13 11:33:11

You need a written statement of particulars, which is basic terms and conditions, within 2 months. Most employers choose to use a contract, but your offer letter may have enough to count. You'll have to ask them whether there'll be a separate contract,

BriansBrain Fri 05-Jul-13 11:27:55

Will you be on commission or a bonus scheme?

We include these under separate cover and will need you to sign them as well as the offer letter.

saltpeanuts Fri 05-Jul-13 09:39:35

No idea, that's why I'm asking, but I thought you needed a contract to start working. Apparently you don't?

Lonecatwithkitten Fri 05-Jul-13 07:20:15

Are you coming to work for me? This is exactly how I do it in agreement with my HR advisors.

saltpeanuts Thu 04-Jul-13 23:36:10

Um... I didnt have to send any application form, just my cv. It's a small company (>10 employees) so they don't have HR department... and the offer letter was sent by email.

BriansBrain Thu 04-Jul-13 20:39:07

We use a full offer letter that needs to be signed by the employee. We also ask for bank details to get you started on the payroll and then on the first day you would be given lots of policies and procedures to sign plus company handbook, emergency contacts etc.

Address and NI would have been written on the application form and you would need an address to send the offer letter to.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 04-Jul-13 20:25:16

I use an offer letter and ask for written acceptance of terms and then issue contract within first week of employment.

flowery Thu 04-Jul-13 16:53:24

No idea, you'll have to ask them. Some employers use an offer letter to state the main terms and issue a contract after start date, some use a longer offer letter comprising all the terms and conditions and no specific contract.

I would suggest ringing HR and asking whether there will be a contract for you to sign.

saltpeanuts Thu 04-Jul-13 14:51:03

I will be starting my new job next week but so far I have only got an offer letter with the main terms (ie. hours, pay, holiday). They have asked for my bank details, but no mention of other data (address, NIN etc). Is this normal? Will I have to sign a contract? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now