job title dilemma

(8 Posts)

Hi
I have been working at the same company for about 5 years and about 6 months ago our job titles were changed. My new title is less senior than my old one and I've not changed my linked in profile. Now I'm looking for a new job and I'm not sure what to do? I have 2 personal references to give instead of HR but would most companies want an official one from HR as well with answers to questions such as how many days off sick?
Thanks

twentyten Tue 02-Jul-13 15:10:48

Lots of companies don't give references now-only confirm start dates etc.
I would stick with old title.

flowery Tue 02-Jul-13 15:45:45

They won't necessarily want the reference to be from HR - a reference from a line manager is far more valuable, but personal references are next to worthless really in most cases. You need two employment references.

And yes it would be common to ask things like how many days off sick, although some companies prefer to only give dates of employment rather than anything more detailed.

Are you worried your employer will give your new job title and it will look like you were misleading on an application?

Flowery - yes I'm worried it will look like I've lied and my company would prob not even mention previous job title. By personal references I meant my previous line manager (still working there) and either a more senior colleagues or the line manager before that who no longer works there. But how would they be able to answer questions re sick days without asking HR?

Anyone else?

flowery Tue 02-Jul-13 19:32:45

Presumably you've asked the people you want to be your referees, and in which case can explain your dilemma to them so that your reference reflects your old job title?

What would be wrong with your line manager asking HR for numbers of sick days?

Yes I have asked the people in principle and will let them know to expect one once I start passing their names on.
I would not be asking my current line manager as he's the reason I'm looking for a new job and am not sure if my previous manager could ring up HR and get that information.

tazmo Wed 03-Jul-13 19:20:19

Just got told have kept my job after consultation but some associate directors have gone direct to directors without having to do owt- so I'm hopping! Sure u could explain your situation to potential employees!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now