Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Written warning and breach of confidentiality

(3 Posts)
Rideswhitehorses Sat 29-Jun-13 22:19:12

I'm re-posting from yesterday as I posted this in Legal Issues instead of here...I'm just wondering what your take on this would be - although 24 hours later my H has decided to let it go (i'm not sure if this is wise tho!) so any advice really really appreciated! -

My H has come home in a right state and I'm not sure if there is anything we can do about it or even if he should......I'll try to keep it short.

About 4 months ago he cocked up massively and was caught - He works in retail and that Friday afternoon a customer came in a bought an item for personal use - but asked if H would put it on his works account..,,H dithered about doing it (knowing it was wrong) but this customer assured him that my H's boss had done it a few times for him, and H knew he had, so he agreed. Now said boss had left that Monday for a new job, so they had a floating manager in from another site. He obviously saw what H had done and reported it to the MD that evening. Not knowing this, My H went into work Sat am and rang customer and said actually can't do that for you...I'd be in shit if I was caught..customer was fine and a new invoice was correctly drawn up. Monday morning H goes into work and pulled in for disciplinary...he explained about changing his mind and showed new invoicing and such..but the damage was done..He'd had intent and initially agreed to do it and so no longer could be trusted. He received a written warning and demotion away from customer sales.

Obviously he knew he was in the wrong..was and still is pissed with himself, but put his head down and got on with his new role. Other staff informed that several roles are being moved around and that explained that. No more about it until today at closing up time...The assistant manager is on a weeks leave next week so staff were talking about whether someone else should take over as temporary key holder as the new manager (3 months in role) is habitually late/or arrives right on the dot of opening, whereas the Ass. mananger and several other staff, H included, arrive early to open up and load wagons so they are ready to roll at opening. Manager says No..staff continue to discuss between themselves and with assistant manager. Manager stands up and shouts across shop floor..."For fucks sakes..I've said NO and theres no chance you'd get them with your Written Warning still in place) pointing at H. Whole place went silent..H just stood up and said "thanks" and walked out. Assistant manager caught up with him and said she'd told manager that he was out of order and he'd replied "he pissed me off, it shut him up" at no time did my H ask to be key holder..he joined in the discussion but suggested other people..(he knows hes not trusted anymore). This evening his manager has rung him 4 times. H is is such a state about it...no-one knew his shame and now its been blathered about the shop floor because the manager felt my H had a "chip on his shoulder today" which he said to him during last phone call. He also said that it didn't matter that he'd said it becuase the staff all knew anyway...H replied that they might of guessed/surmissed the situation, but he'd never said anything to anyone, but they certainly all knew for sure now".

Just to add from my original post..manager has suggested a full staff meeting with all staff to say he was wrong..no written warning..he was mistaken - which sounds so obvious - I think it will make it worse.

Should my H do anything/can he do anything or should he just carry on as he is doing. Any advice much appreciated! Thanks.

Glenshee Sat 29-Jun-13 22:58:13

All your H can do, is rise above it. (Easier said than done).

He's made a mistake. Not a big one at that. The quicker he can move on, the better for him.

Failure lies not in falling down. Failure lies in not getting up.

I would also look for job opportunities elsewhere. This place doesn't appreciate H's skills and commitment, and seems overly keen to exploit the existing vulnerability beyond what is helpful or reasonable. It would be much easier for H to put this all behind him at a new workplace.

flowery Sun 30-Jun-13 06:55:52

Well firstly from a legal point of view it doesn't sound like they followed a proper procedure for his warning. He should have been given plenty if notice, with a letter setting out what the issues were, giving him time to prepare, and also should have been told he could bring a colleague or Trade Union rep with him. He then should have been given the right to appeal the warning.

Sounds like the manager behaved badly and was indiscreet but was trying to put things right.

You say your husband wants to let it go. Does that mean you don't agree? What do you think he should do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now