technician - payscale offered at new job is lower than my present job

(9 Posts)
aftermay Thu 27-Jun-13 06:11:06

I would agree with the pay cut too but if it was a different job. For the same job, one in which you already bring experience, definitely worth fighting for the appropriate pay. It can be simply a matter of stating the obvious to HR. they'd have to give a reason why they'd out you to the bottom of the scale.

Earlybirdie Thu 27-Jun-13 05:12:03

Have you been offered a chance to negotiate salary etc? In my profession, HR is used to negotiation. Having said that I was prepared to take a pay cut to move to a job closer home. Think all the commuting you saved and more time you spent with your DD. Children grow up quickly. There will be time to move up career ladder, but once we miss our children growing up, it is gone. There is no turning back.

BriansBrain Wed 26-Jun-13 23:14:40

You don't get if you don't ask.

Tell them you have worked your way through the banding due to experience and would like to be considered for staying in that banding or a guarantee of moving up after probation?

virgil Wed 26-Jun-13 23:12:04

Is it the same LEA (i.e. has your employer changed?)

aftermay Wed 26-Jun-13 07:13:58

Do they know what you were on before? Don't forget that HR may not know the ins and outs and they're just sending a standard type of contract. In the past I have written to the new manager and this sorted things.

WipsGlitter Wed 26-Jun-13 07:04:57

You can ask to be put on the same scale but they don't have to do it. It's worth a try.

charlottenina Wed 26-Jun-13 07:03:02

yes, new work is closer to home, plus working hours allow to pick up DD after school. They sent me an offer letter ( contract later) saying that salary is at the bottom of scale 4...

aftermay Wed 26-Jun-13 06:48:06

What else is better about the new job? Hours? Closer to home? If there are no additional benefits then I wouldn't take it or just tell them you were on the higher scale for a reason (experience, responsibility etc).

charlottenina Wed 26-Jun-13 06:43:42

I have worked in school and I was on Scale 5. I have got a new offer in school and they are putting me at the bottom of scale 4 - is it right? I know this low salary was in job spec so feel bad turning and saying now that I want them to consider to keep me within my present scale or at least somewhere in between of what they offer and my present salary. I have many years of experience so why is that support jobs know everything down and again, starting at the bottom? please help me with ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now