Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Vacancy - asking about part time hours

(3 Posts)
tinypumpkin Tue 25-Jun-13 16:46:48

Any idea how best to manage this. I have seen a full time come up where I used to work ,(did this job). I want to ask about part time hours but never know if it is best to ask now or go to interview and negotiate if successful.

It is complex as my original job was ft but I negotiated pt hours to return on mat leave. I never went back as we list DD1 and I was not in a good place at that point. I only mention this as it shows they are flexible but I worry if I ask outright they will say no.

Rockchick1984 Tue 25-Jun-13 17:49:40

I'm sorry for your loss. Would you take the job if full-time was the only option? If not then personally I'd ask about part time hours at the application stage - doesn't seem worth wasting both your time and the interviewers if its not an option. If you would consider accepting it full time then mention it either at interview or when they (hopefully!) call to offer you the job smile

tinypumpkin Tue 25-Jun-13 19:49:58

Thanks Rockchick1984, sound advice. Thanks for making sense of what I realise was a rather incoherent post, I had hungry tired children at my feet and was trying to post quickly on my phone. Obviously we did lose DD1, we did not list her.

I wouldn't take it FT as it is but oddly enough the full job spec states a possible job share. I had not seen that at the time as I had only seen the email alert with skeleton details.

Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now