Struggle at current employment before leaving for new job

(5 Posts)
Earlybirdie Tue 25-Jun-13 05:56:14

I was offered a new job. Somehow my boss knew the offer from their external contact before I even received the contract. I was confronted by them which was unpleasant. I since signed the contract but haven't handed in my resignation as the job offer depends on satisfactory references. I want to be absolutely sure that HR are OK with references, then I will hand in my resignation. However, yesterday my boss decided to make a public announcement of my departure by email. Also in the announcement my new job title was incorrect.

Questions if you could help me. Is it legal for them to announce my departure even before I hand in my resignation letter? Should I email to all colleagues to correct the mistake?

P.s. The title in the announcement involves a senior position which I haven't agreed to my new employer. As a working mum, I want to be careful with any big responsibility that I agree to take on. My job offer doesn't depend on me taking on that responsibility and this will be subject to discussion after I join them. Like I said my boss got hold of information from the external source and never verified with me.

Another question. There will be certain projects remain unfinished. My boss may need me after my departure. I was thinking of showing my good will and do these jobs based on my current salary rate with them. After being ill treated, I feel they can forget about it altogether as it is a big sacrifice from my side. Will be busy with new job and being a mum is another full time job. But I feel that I will be leaving my colleagues to suffer. They have been very helpful and supportive during these past many years that I have worked with them. So I am also considering negotiating with my boss so that I can be properly compensated. I know that will not make them happy. Any comments will be appreciated

aftermay Tue 25-Jun-13 06:01:31

That's a difficult one. You need those good references. Sadly, even in this day and age, we depend on some
wanker writing something nice. Years of work can go down the pan otherwise.

I've done the working for old job after leaving. I think payment is largely irrelevant. You'll feel tired, disinterested and a bit resentful.

Chottie Tue 25-Jun-13 06:01:55

I am not an employment expert, but I would recommend that you be a professional to the last moment. Arrange handover meetings and ensure all is in place.

Thinking ahead, you do not know if you will ever need to call upon these colleagues for a favour, so I am a great believer in leaving the door open. It is a difficult time for you, I hope it all works out and that you get some good MN advice regarding your legal position.

flowery Tue 25-Jun-13 10:30:16

If I said it was illegal to announce someone's departure before their resignation had been received, would you really be taking legal action?

If you had no intention to leave at all, I'd suggest raising a formal grievance, but as you are leaving, it's only irritating rather than anything to warrant talking about legal action. As you're leaving anyway, there's little point raising a grievance. I would suggest speaking to the boss and mentioning that you did not appreciate your departure being announced without him/her checking with you first. Sounds like he/she was aware you were leaving as there had been a discussion with you before the announcement, is that right? So the announcement was not made purely based on external information, but still he/she should have checked with you first.

If it's important your old colleagues know what your new job title will be then you could tell them, but actually does it affect anything?

You mention being 'ill-treated' - is the premature announcement of your departure and getting the job title wrong the ill-treatment, or is there more to it?

If your boss asks you to do some work after you've left (which would be a bit strange - can you not hand things over during your notice period?), then of course it's up to you to decide whether you will, and if so, what rate you want to do it. Bear in mind that now isn't the only time you may need a reference from them, and burning bridges is usually not sensible, but at the same time if you don't have time to take on extra work once you've left, don't do it. But base that decision on your circumstances, not on the fact that they've annoyed you.

Earlybirdie Tue 25-Jun-13 20:10:25

Thank you for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I am leaving for sure. The truth is that the past year has been difficult. Unfortunately the nature of my contract means that I have to stay with this employment for another half a year. Hence I am not happy with th announcement yesterday. But your guys are right I'd better carry on being professional and work with the boss. Half a year, I start counting now ...
Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now