Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Anyone work for a charity?

(7 Posts)
applecrumbleandcream Sun 23-Jun-13 19:11:12

Thanks everyone. I've sent my application form off but I think I will give their HR a ring in the morning and make enquiries. No I wouldn't want to bother going for interview, if I got one, if they didn't have these.

SunshineBossaNova Sun 23-Jun-13 13:23:05

I worked at a large disability charity and the pension and annual leave were okay, but the sick pay was absolutely rubbish. It's definitely worth checking.

IAteTheCake Sun 23-Jun-13 08:26:20

I work for a well known children's hospital charity in London. The pension scheme is excellent compared the more commercial jobs I was in previously. A/L is generous and sick pay at a high standard. Local charities may be different of course, but you have a right to ask these I'd before applying. I would far rather someone asked me before applying for a role only to pull out in the interview process and waste time later...

applecrumbleandcream Sun 23-Jun-13 01:27:54

Ok thank you.

flowery Sat 22-Jun-13 07:24:57

Generalising here, but bigger national charities often pay reasonable pension contributions and at least some sick pay. Small local charities are often very cash-strapped so may not. They'll have to have a pension available that you can pay into, if they have 5 or more staff, but may not make contributions.

This is changing anyway due to pensions auto-enrolment, and within the next few years every employer will have to make contributions.

SunshineBossaNova Sat 22-Jun-13 00:08:41

Hi applecrumble I've worked for a number of charities. In my experience they usually have a pension scheme, however sick pay may vary.

applecrumbleandcream Sat 22-Jun-13 00:01:40

I've seen a job that really interests me working for a local charity. Before applying for it I was just wondering if anyone knew if charities usually have a pension scheme and pay sick pay? I can't see any mention of it on their website or in the advert so just wondered.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now