Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Another dodgy boss

(8 Posts)
Kernowgal Sun 23-Jun-13 18:33:12

I was in a very similar position late last year (with added crazy bullying boss and useless head honcho) and in the end left, with nothing to go on to, because I was so desperately unhappy there. My organisation was unwilling to offer any staff development and any suggestions for ways to improve the staff's lot were met with shrugs. We tried to make things better for ourselves but ultimately it was pointless.

I decided to do a few months' volunteering at a well-regarded institution in my field to improve my skills and experience, and then applied for jobs from there. Pleased to say I landed a job with one of the top organisations in my industry, which has clear pay and progression structures and actively seeks to develop its staff and offer opportunities to move up. It is like another world and I only wish I'd done it sooner. Good luck!

flowery Fri 14-Jun-13 21:20:57

Not defeatist, no. Because you are doing something. Understanding that you cannot change others, you can only change how you respond to them, is a good thing. And acknowledging that no reaction you could have will change the behaviour demonstrates awareness. Focusing your energies on improving your personal situation in the most effective way possible is a positive thing to do.

muchovino Fri 14-Jun-13 21:07:15

Thank you flowery, I am also going to do some IT training to brush up on a few things. In an odd way this has all come to a head at a good time as it has really made me reassess things. I hope my post didn't sound defeatist, but there really is nothing I can do to change anything, esp with it being a small business. I just needed some wise Mumsnet advice before I lost my sanity!

flowery Fri 14-Jun-13 20:58:04

Ok, so you have something to focus on, which is good. While you are job hunting, keep focusing on how best your current job can help you get the next one. Get as much out of it as possible, in terms of things you can put on your cv, making good contacts, learning skills etc. think all the time about how what you're doing will help you get where you need to be. Try to let the rest, all the daily irritations, flow over you as being irrelevant to your own goals. Don't allow little annoying things to take up any more of your valuable headspace than absolutely necessary and rise above it while you focus on your future.

muchovino Fri 14-Jun-13 20:51:50

when the right role/right hours come along!

flowery Fri 14-Jun-13 20:13:04

Are you planning to leave?

muchovino Fri 14-Jun-13 20:01:39

bump

muchovino Fri 14-Jun-13 19:42:56

Current Manager is there by default, has had no management experience and no management training, no appraisals - her boss not bothered at all about what goes on as very "hands off". No people skills and prefers to email rather than discuss things which winds everyone up beyond belief. I have made a number of suggestions recently to help her and the business (not trying to take any of her glory and I am certainly not after her job) which are always received very negatively. Have had enough and know that things will not change (she certainly won't leave), however I wanted to know the best way to deal with a situation like this - I care about my job and the business but find the rest of it so difficult to deal with day in and day out - how do you work somewhere where there are such basic things that drive you insane every day - how do you "switch off" to all the crap?! TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now