References

(5 Posts)
xylem8 Thu 27-Jun-13 15:07:28

just to hijack!
.I was given a warning, about something I didn't agree was wrong, it was a technical issue which I still believe I was correct about, (nothing was put in writing and I didn't sign anything) but when they were doing 'redundancy scores' they included it.
I have now been offered another job subject to references.Where do i stand with this if they disclose it?

applecrumbleandcream Tue 11-Jun-13 20:56:26

Thank you both for your comments. I will contact HR tomorrow and ask what their policy is regarding references and what information they do disclose.

Someone told me that they can't give 'bad' references anymore but it seems pointless anyway as HR do not know me personally to give information about my character and if I can work well worth others, if I'm hard working, good at my job etc etc.

flowery Tue 11-Jun-13 12:52:18

It may depend how cautious your (current?) employer is about references. Some prefer to only give very basic information about dates you were employed, etc.

If they are generally prepared to give more information, then assuming the new employer ask about disciplinary/performance record and attendance record (which is usual), then yes it would probably be disclosed. It's factual, objective, provable information so no reason really for the employer to be concerned about disclosing it, although as I say, some prefer to err on the side of caution and never say anything!

Are you in a position to ask your current employer what their policy is in terms of giving references? If they have a blanket policy of very basic references then that would be useful information to know.

Some reference forms specifically ask if there have been any disciplinary issues. And my understanding is that they're not allowed to ask about sickness any more until they offer you a job. TBH, as an employer, I would want to know about sickness and disciplinaries. I'd take your version of events into account (eg if it was a clash of personalities and you had a clutch of glowing references from other employers), but it would be important for me to know.

applecrumbleandcream Tue 11-Jun-13 10:47:15

I'm applying for another job and have to give two references. I had a bad year last year with a disciplinary hearing which resulted in a written warning on my record for a year and being off sick for 6 months with depression and anxiety. Would they put these details on the reference?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now