Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Disciplinary investigation

(43 Posts)
Hellosummer Fri 17-May-13 11:55:54

I've been told that I am going to have a formal disiplinary process against me. Apparently I'll receive a letter in the post outlining te reasons.
I suspect it's o do with poor record keeping and general underperformance at work- not retuning phone calls in a timely fashion, getting behind on admin.
I admit this has been going on for 6-12 months and its only when I took time off for stress that its all come to light.
I've had a horrendous time in my personal life, separation/ divorce and buying/ selling house.
This is the first time the quality of my work has been called into question.
This is the nhs.
Am I likely to get written warning ? Will the fact that my personal life has been traumatic impact on there leniency?

Moxiegirl Sat 18-May-13 20:35:45

Hope it goes your way. The waiting is awful isn't it.

Hellosummer Sat 18-May-13 21:00:50

Yes- don't even know if its a specific incident or a more general thing

Hellosummer Sun 19-May-13 14:31:59

Oh I'm sick with worry .

squawkparrot Mon 20-May-13 16:44:03

Wait until you get the letter, then let's have a look. In the meantime all this speculation is clouding the issue and making things worse. But, one piece of advice I shall give, but it may be unwelcome, is to make certain you perform your job well from now on.

Hellosummer Mon 20-May-13 17:00:39

Yes square parrot- nose is to he grindstone .
Just took my eye off the ball sad

Virgil Mon 20-May-13 19:44:37

Any further news from them yet?

Hellosummer Mon 20-May-13 20:11:11

No..... Although I'm trying to be positive.
I haven't been suspended
They said that they are sympathetic to personal circumstances
I just have to wait for the letter then I can put together my side.
It's awful waiting. The worst case scenarios keep coming to mind- losing my professional registration, being sacked.

Featherbag Mon 20-May-13 21:22:18

My advice from supporting a friend through similar -
Make sure you give 110% from now on
Don't be tempted to make excuses for your failings - acknowledge them, acknowledge the potential consequences for your patients and your colleagues, acknowledge the extra work someone will have had to do to put right your mistakes
Get support from your GP and any other HCP you've seen - show you've been dealing with the root cause
Gather testimonial evidence from colleagues proving your previous good work history
Offer to undergo any retraining deemed necessary
In short, don't let them point out anything negative to you, show you have a full insight into what's happened, and the knock-on effects, plus how you've already taken steps to put things right and how you're planning to continue rectifying the situation and ensure it never happens again.

I really hope it goes well for you, keep us updated!

Hellosummer Mon 20-May-13 21:43:59

I'm planning on doing just that feather.
Acknowledging that I have failed in some aspects of my role- have let down clients, colleagues and the reputation of the trust.
I have jotted down suggestions as to how I can take steps to make sure it never happens again- reducing my travelling time and making ring fenced admin time.
It's only a few isolated cases - most of my caseload have received good care within our guidelines.
I am planning on taking full responsibility - but extenuating circumstances in my personal life had allowed my standards to slip. Booking the counselling through work before I even knew about this should be a positive.
What is your friends situation?

Featherbag Tue 21-May-13 08:21:12

Summer I don't really want to give details as I know she's a MNetter and it's not my story to tell, but it was serious, she's a registered HCP and although it was a very stressful time she kept her job! May have even been considered more serious as she was suspended while the investigation went on.

Hellosummer Tue 21-May-13 09:11:59

Thanks feather . Did she get a written warning?

Featherbag Tue 21-May-13 09:15:43

Yes, a final written, but after 12 months it'll be removed from her record.

Hellosummer Tue 21-May-13 09:32:54

Thanks .

Hellosummer Wed 22-May-13 13:36:58

An update/ met with manager Again who was talking positively about helping me make changes to my working day So that I find things easier at work. She said I was highly thought of by colleagues and other positive things. Am hoping that if I come clean in the investigation, hold my hands up and acknowledge my failings that I will just receive a caution- written warning. The way she was talking it doesn't sounding I'm for the chop.

fubbsy Wed 22-May-13 16:44:08

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit more positive about things hello.

I think your plan is a good one. Admit you made mistakes, say you are sorry, and agree steps to take to resolve the issues going forward.

Featherbag Fri 24-May-13 07:59:03

That's good to hear Summer, pleased you're sounding more positive!

oldendaysending Sun 26-May-13 21:18:11

What a relief for you; my heart went out to you. All the very best for your future x

Hellosummer Mon 10-Jun-13 21:18:44

An update- nearly 4 weeks on and I havnt had the letter outlining the allegations yet.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now