Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Events management interview - help

(7 Posts)
IAteTheCake Sat 18-May-13 07:49:29

make sure you have lots of examples to talk about in the aspects of pre event, event day and post event delivery include post event assessment and the objectives of holding the event in the first place, talk about working with internal and external stakeholders,
suppliers and members of your team. If you manage a team yo
u need to reference management style and task delegation. Nowadays you'll need to show how media savvy you are so include examples around how social media has helped meet your kpi's. If you have any examples of event related print materials you have played a key part in producing bring them along and talk through the process of how you got to the end product. Break down the event planning process and be prepared to discuss and have examples for all elements. Good luck!

lovefreelance Tue 14-May-13 05:20:54

I agree - for me an interview is often won or lost in your preparation. I mentally rehearse interviews over and over in my head, imagining every possible question they may throw at me and thinking what I would say. And very importantly, these fantasy interviews always go well - this sets a pattern of expectation for your brain and you will be much more relaxed on the day. Personally I enjoy job interviews (an hour to talk about me? What's not to like?!) and I think this helps as it eradicates nerves.

There are some good tips about preparing for questions here: www.talentedladiesclub.com/all-help/preparing-for-a-successful-job-interview/

I particularly like the idea of preparing for that good old strengths and weaknesses question as it's usually the one that gets me.

If you've had a bit of bad luck at interviews lately, it may be a good idea to tape yourself replying to interview questions and watching the film back to see if you can spot anywhere you can improve. Also, you may want to have a look at your body language: www.totaljobs.com/careers-advice/interviews/body-language

Hope it goes well!

Blankiefan Mon 13-May-13 20:48:46

This is a general interview tip but could be helpful...Think about how you're going to answer questions as well as the content. Use a structure to keep you right like STAR (Situation - a brief bit of background; Task - what needed done / what your objective was; Action - what you did (don't use "we"); Result - what was achieved). This is particularly useful in "give us an example of when you've...." type questions.

It can stop you waffling and act as a reminder about what you want to share.

Good luck.

macreturnofthe Mon 13-May-13 19:25:37

My pleasure - hope you get the job - is it one you really want?

I'm gonna need to take my own advise, just lost my job today, and that was my one useful exercise today, write down all positive good things and examples to use in applications and interviews.

Bettythevampirslayer Mon 13-May-13 19:16:04

Thanks mac that's really good advice

macreturnofthe Mon 13-May-13 18:41:26

go through the job spec and your application and make sure you have a quality succinct example for each bit, ie. project management, dealing with difficult partners, negotiation etc.

Then come up with an awesome why do you want to work there (not something intrinsic though)

Sure you will be fab - good luck with it

oh and think up a couple of questions about the role or the direction of the company

Bettythevampirslayer Mon 13-May-13 18:37:15

Long time lurker here, this is my first post so I'm not sure it's in the right place.

I have an interview for an events manager role this week, it's something I have a lot of experience in, as it's a big part of my current role.

The thing is, I haven't had much luck with interviews recently. Has anyone got any advice or experience of events management interviews? Or an idea of what sort of questions they may ask?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now