To make a # for myself?

(83 Posts)
ellajayne Mon 13-May-13 18:04:21

I have a job interview for my dream job next week and in the job description they said they want someone creative and social media savvy. To help myself stand out in the interview I've created a # and asked people to retweet a tweet of mine or tweet to the # so I can show it in the interview.

I thought this was quite creative and using social media to my advantage but one of my friends says I am being ridiculous and will look stupid showing that during the interview.

It's a job in social media, by the way. AIBU?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 19:41:48

A funny clip will get more likes etc than any other type.

I do not understand Twitter, although I am a twit.

Good luck though!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Mon 13-May-13 19:46:26

OP also...your FB "call to action" is as follows...

I'm Laura and I have a job interview for my dream job in social media on Wednesday 22nd May 2013. With this page I'm showing I can use social media to my advantage in order to stand out during the interview. Please help by simply liking this page!

And I don't think it's enough. You could essentially get the page liked by hundreds through sheer sweat and staying up all night...your statement is asking to be liked for the purpose of getting you your dream job...but there's no real incentive...people aren't getting a laugh or a thrill or a "feelgood" or anything.

ellajayne Mon 13-May-13 20:09:15

What would you suggest? I'm getting a decent response from asking people to tell me their dream job with the hashtag so something along those lines?

It's not so much to get thousands of likes as I won't be selling anything in the job I'm in. It's very much behind the scenes with the website and just a little social media promotion but it's to show I can use social media and generate interest, as little as it may be. I appreciate I may be looking at this all wrong and that I should be looking at going viral.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-May-13 21:39:05

Do what Holla says on Twitter - this is much more sparky and likely to get more interest and re-tweets. You could also use something like this on your FB page to make it more interactive - it's pretty dull as is.

"I won't be selling anything in the job I'm in." Yes you will, you'll be selling yourself to your next employer. Look to the next job beyond this one as well.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-May-13 21:44:22

I really cannot stress enough the amount of prep you need to do and the stiff competition you'll face. Is there anything else we can help you with to make sure you get this job?

ellajayne Mon 13-May-13 21:55:24

I've changed the Facebook so it coincides with the Twitter question of 'What is your dream job?' Coming up to 75 likes now so while its not great it is much more than I was expecting. The thumbs up on Twitter has got to 7 photos in the tags for now and Twitter has 50 odd retweets and around 30 entries to the #. Not great.

However I am determined to succeed. Nothing will deter me from proving I am the best person for the job and that I deserve it. I'll keep provoking a response on the #'s and I'm looking into ideas for a YouTube video that gets people involved too.

There's going to be stiff competition as so many people know social media well. The one thing I have that maybe others don't is experience in writing (freelance articles for the blog and other projects such as a magazine) and website knowledge. However there are many, many people who know just as much as I do and thousands that are a lot better than me so I really have to sell myself. It's daunting sad

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-May-13 22:02:50

Don't lose confidence! You have already beaten a lot of the competition to get this far. Now you need to show why you are the best and why they should give you the job. smile

And a good question to ask at the end, when they ask you if you have any questions, is to ask what the three key issues are that they want the job holder to get to grips with in the first few months in the job. And if they come up with stuff you have already done, then use this opportunity to tell them: "Oh that won't be a problem for me, I did/used X when I was studying/writing my blog/preparing an article..."

ellajayne Mon 13-May-13 22:03:49

Instead of "Why me?" I'm thinking "Why not me?" I have a good background and a good knowledge so the only things that could let me down are my presentation or the way I sell myself.

ellajayne Mon 13-May-13 22:08:18

The three key issues is a fantastic idea. I would never have put it so succinctly and would have rambled it into conversation somewhere. I think that's where I need the most help.

MrsSchadenfreude Mon 13-May-13 22:19:46

Can anyone help you with a mock interview? Do you know if it is going to be competence based?

ellajayne Tue 14-May-13 01:30:59

DP can help with a mock but that's about it. He has some business experience but there's nobody I know in the same league as the creative marketing director of this company who will be interviewing me next week.

I honestly have no idea but is imagine so as they need someone who knows their way around writing content, image editing, editing HTML and CSS etc to do the job properly.

NatashaBee Tue 14-May-13 01:39:50

There's a really good book called 'unmarketing' by Scott Stratten which is all about how companies engage their customers via social media (or don't). I think you can read it free on his website. Yes, it's great to get people to like your page. But what does that actually do for your company? Nothing, unless its the kind of people who are actually interested in your product or what you're selling. And once they've liked you, what do you plan to do to keep them engaged/ interested in your page/ product?

ellajayne Tue 14-May-13 02:10:59

This isn't something to keep them engaged as I'm not selling anything to them or giving them anything but updates. It was simply an idea I had to set me slightly apart from other candidates and show with proof that I could use social media. It was never meant to go viral, just get a few retweets, mentions and likes so I can take in my phone and some print outs and show I thought of a little more than just turning up and tried to be a little creative.

NatashaBee Tue 14-May-13 02:29:31

But the whole point of Facebook and Twitter is to interact with fans of your product. What have you actually gained by getting to retweet you/ like you?

You said your strength is writing, so can you write a blog post and link it on Facebook/ twitter to gather other people's feedback and input? Or critique another company's social media pages - whether good or bad - on what their strengths are and what you'd change if you worked on their marketing team?

lovefreelance Tue 14-May-13 05:06:34

I need to stay up to date on social media for my work, and I find this site a great source of (easy to understand) knowledge: www.socialmediaexaminer.com/

If you you know what your role will roughly entail, you can look up solutions to their problems/aims online and be ready with considered opinions and new solutions for them (agree with all MrsSF's advice on here...).

I would also look at some of the latest emerging thoughts on social media to show you're up to date. (Again I like the site mentioned above.)

And, a biggie for me, if they will be looking at results, do some research to understand what metrics they should be measuring. So many companies place too much importance on just getting Facebook likes or Twitter followers, when it's engagement that really counts. Much better to have 10 really engaged Facebook fans that will actually buy from you and comment on your page, than 1,000 'fans' that were incentivised to like you but never even read your updates, let alone spend money on or spread the word about your brand.

Good luck with your interview smile

ellajayne Tue 14-May-13 09:30:28

Thank you for your advice. I'm definitely going to be looking in to it all, especially keeping up to date with the social media side, identifying issues early on & understanding statistics. They're a company who is very driven by activity within the community rather and something like a viral ad for a product wouldn't be their aim so it's spot on.

Stevie77 Tue 14-May-13 14:34:47

I'll # you to help!

I think it's a good idea. Make sure you measure and evaluate to show you have thought about it more thoroughly. Use other SM channels but maybe only those relevant to organisation? What I mean is, if having a FB page is irrelevant to company, then maybe best use the channels that are?

Good luck!

ellajayne Tue 14-May-13 15:01:34

The company have a Facebook and Twitter account so I wanted to follow up on things they already have in place. Plus, easier to tweet them in on Mon/Tues!

MrsSchadenfreude Tue 21-May-13 20:15:50

Good luck for the interview!

WipsGlitter Tue 21-May-13 20:25:30

I would not be happy if a job candidate linked in my @mytwittername me before an interview.

The thing is that most interviews follow some sort of script - set questions - so I'm not sure how you'll be able to bring this in.

I would bring your writing samples with you.

Trill Fri 24-May-13 16:16:12

If you would be annoyed at someone @mentioning you on Twitter then maybe Twitter is not the social network for you...

NatashaBee Fri 24-May-13 16:47:54

How did it go OP? What approach did you decide to use in the end?

CajaDeLaMemoria Fri 24-May-13 17:09:22

I just read through all of this and wrote a big advice post, and then realised it's gone.

How did it go, OP? I hope you did well!

BriansBrain Fri 24-May-13 21:43:31

I've just read through and would like to know how you got on?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now