Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Where can I get help for problems with my employer?

(11 Posts)
BriansBrain Tue 14-May-13 23:17:37

Firstly, I am really sorry for everything you have been through with the miscarriage and feeling stressed and I hope you are feeling brighter and more positive today.

As a PA myself: "my boss doesn't read emails and I have to print them out and respond myself, that can take an hour per email" ba ha ha ha ha ha ha

You need to call him on it!! I have worked with many a dinasaur and many have passed before me under their nasty little attitude but you need to do it!

Make it sound like you are all about making his life easier, fucking hell it is only opening, reading and responding to an email he doesn't need to know the useful bones of it, just read think and respond!

Do you have the strength to arrange to meet with him, send him some test emails and help teach him? It could take 5 minutes and then you monitor it for a few days?

If not give me his number, silly stubborn git!

Ikabod Mon 13-May-13 11:13:34

Thanks for your support everyone. He founded the organisation and is the Chief Exec. His last PA left for the same reason. His attitude is that she couldn't 'hack it' but I know she - and the PA before that - put up with a lot and both of them did a good job too. I think it's time for me to dig out the CV and give it a refresh! Sad because I actually like the organisation and work with some really superb people.

Thanks again!

WipsGlitter Sun 12-May-13 21:47:05

That is just bonkers. What sort of organisation is it? Family business? Government?

AnnaDL Sun 12-May-13 21:45:48

Call ACAS. What does your contract say about working hours?

emess Sun 12-May-13 21:43:08

I think I'd be looking for a move, either within the organisation or elsewhere. This guy is taking the piss. If you move on, he'll be lucky if he finds someone else to work for him under those conditions. You are clearly extremely competent and have skills and qualities that will be valued by others. Start valuing yourself - you are not shackled to him forever you know!

goodgrief54 Sun 12-May-13 17:57:18

is there an admin manager in your organisation? would a move to work for a diff person possible? it sounds as if your manager is incompetent and it is unfair you are having to help get them out of their mess.

flowery Sat 11-May-13 16:47:16

Is working weekends/extra hours part of your contract?

Ikabod Sat 11-May-13 14:37:52

Thanks for the advice. The problem threefold, I'll try to be brief. It stems from my boss's point blank refusal to learn to use email (even just to read the emails; they all have to be printed out for him). I'm a PA and this small thing causes so many knock-on issues! Not least having to work weekends at the drop of a hat to help him catch up (I have to type all his responses and he can spend an hour on one email). I've tried to come up with a number of solutions, none of which have worked. He has explicitly said that if I can't work weekends when he needs me to, I'll need to move on. As I say, it sounds like a small thing but the consequences are big! I've tried to discuss this with HR but their response is along the lines of 'he is how he is' and I need to learn to accept that.

I'll try ACAS and CAB, as suggested. Thank you!

ThePskettiIncident Sat 11-May-13 13:09:34

Working families are brilliant. Also try Acas for impartial advice and the cab.

Do you have a union?

You must document it all and speak to your go.

flowery Sat 11-May-13 13:08:51

Well it partly depends what the issues are and what sort of help you need. Can you tell us what the problem is?

Ikabod Sat 11-May-13 13:02:23

I've recently had a miscarriage. I suspect that work-related stress may have contributed to this and need to sort out the issues I'm having because I don't want it to happen again. HR has been unsupportive so far in helping to tackle the issues that are the cause of the stress - in some instances have made it worse! Can anyone recommend an organisation I can turn to for help and advice?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now