Handing in notice when due to go on paternity leave

(4 Posts)
LLJohnson Fri 10-May-13 18:57:14

Hi all, my first post so hopefully this will all be okay!

I'm 36+3 and my husband has been offered a new job.. He has to give a months notice, if he does this month of leave will fall over the time when he would have been on paternity leave..

Does anyone know what his rights would be, if he hands in his notice will he still be entitled to leave from his current employer or will he lose out on Pat leave?

Thanks...

nextphase Fri 10-May-13 20:12:14

If he leaves, and then you go over 40 weeks, he won't be entitled to anything - his new employer doesn't have to give anything. Since your DH isn't going to start his new job til after PL, can he delay handing in his notice? I can't see why they shouldn't honour it - your entitled to all other benefits and remuneration whilst serving notice?

LLJohnson Fri 10-May-13 21:56:37

Hi, thank you. That's what I was thinking. I knew he wouldn't be entitled in his new job, but would hope if it fell within his current employment then they would honour it.. He's worked there roughly 10 years..

Fuckwittery Sat 11-May-13 23:03:14

he should get it in his old employment, he's still employed whilst working notice period, it's a statutory right that he's entitled to until the end of employ w t, he'd just be on paternity instead
make sure he has complied with all other formalities which includes giving in the matb1 form in good time, i think its 15 weeks before expected due date.
https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave/how-to-claim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now