Really unhappy at work

(4 Posts)
QueenOfCats Wed 08-May-13 22:22:43

I know that nobody can help me, so I suppose I'm just having a moan.

I hate my job. I'm really unhappy there.

My boss - she's crap. I have no respect for her. She's off with me in the most subtle of ways. She flits between favourites in the office. I've been there almost 5 years and seen it with all the new staff. It's seriously pathetic.

She doesn't report issues to her boss. She goes off to management meetings and makes out everything is perfect in the office when it's not. This in turn creates more stress and more work for my team mates and I.

She is not consistent. You ask her the same question twice and get 2 different answers. She bends the rules for some employees and rules with an iron rod over others. This creates bad feeling.

She is also very two faced. Not 6 weeks ago she sat and slagged off a colleague to me. Last week she was all over the colleague she slagged off and gave her a handmade birthday card.

My closest team mate (the one that got the birthday card) is like Bob bloody Crowe. She is militant. She will not give an inch and constantly moans over the boss. She slags the boss off, slags other colleagues off and thinks she is superior over me and the 3rd team member.

I feel totally undervalued and unappreciated. I feel like I'm only there to make up the numbers.

Lots of our equipment doesn't work properly so simple tasks that should take 20 minutes end up taking over an hour. Despite me raising this nothing has been done.

How am I supposed to be productive and give my job 100% when I feel like this?

blueshoes Wed 08-May-13 22:48:09

This does not sound good at all. What is stopping you from quitting and finding a better boss/job?

SuzySuzSuz Wed 08-May-13 22:51:07

Oh queen that sounds pants! It's not just one thing you could possibly deal with but your boss, colleague, work and resources like IT!

Only you can know if this is just a phase where things are bothering you more or have you felt this way a while?

For me, I had a good look at my job I was in a few years ago as was starting to spill into my personal time by feeling down and dreading work (in tears!). I made a list of the things that were making me unhappy about job and put them in columns for things I could do something about directly, things I couldn't directly change but could change my approach or things I could do absolutely nothing about.

From doing that, my own decision was that this was not the right place for me and for my own sanity and well being I started looking around and eventually moved into a different role. I actually started to feel better when I made that decision and started looking, I think because I was taking control of the situation and trying to do something within my control.

Hope it works out for you.

QueenOfCats Wed 08-May-13 22:57:23

The things that are keeping me there: no commute so no money spent getting to and from work, it's part time, it's local.

I suffer with anxiety and depression so have had a fair bit of time off. I don't think I will find another part time job so close to home - I get really anxious travelling so location is ideal.

The money is ok.

I'm worried that if I leave my absence record will prevent me from getting anything else.

The idea of a list of problems and possible solutions mentioned above are helpful - will give that a go.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to respond smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now