Taking a lower graded job

(3 Posts)
emess Sun 12-May-13 21:54:15

It's probably up to you how you present the job. Is it within the same organisation? If not then it should be easy; if it is then you may need to be a bit smarter. In either case, talk up any parts of the lower-graded job which added to your experience, your expertise, brought you into contact with a different department, was the opposite of what you did before (eg back-office vs customer-facing for example, or vv) or anything else which you could describe as "personal development".

I'd rather employe someone (like you) who has been prepared to take a lower-graded job to 'keep their hand in' rather than someone who sat around waiting for the "right" grade of job to come along and lost their momentum / experience as a result.

WipsGlitter Wed 08-May-13 21:24:02

Bump!

WipsGlitter Wed 08-May-13 20:13:17

I was made redundant in 2010 and since then have done two mat covers (currently on the second one) and between them six months as a SAHM. I'm applying for other jobs as this one ends at the end of August, and have an interview on Monday, but technically it's a lower graded job - down to officer level from manager level (although the money is ok/same-ish).

If I got it, and took it as an interim stepping stone (I just want a breathing space with a 'permanent' post) would it go against me later if I was looking to step up to manager level roles again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now