Declined job offer now they're asking for reasons.

(11 Posts)
Llareggub Fri 03-May-13 08:49:58

Cross post - what MumnGran said.

Llareggub Fri 03-May-13 08:49:28

Absolutely what the last poster said. It's a normal thing to do if you have found the right person for the job.

Mendi Fri 03-May-13 08:49:01

He should just say the pay is less than his existing job. Everyone understands that. No need to go into all the other stuff.

MumnGran Fri 03-May-13 08:47:28

My only reason for asking would be because I really wanted the candidate and want to know if his reasons might be a negotiating point, particularly over salary .... or working from home option if he doesn't like the travelling.

If he really doesn't want the job, then responding with something she will be unable to negotiate on (length of contract?) is the answer.
If he wants the job on different terms, cite the points he wants to negotiate.

ivykaty44 Fri 03-May-13 08:47:22

explain that upon applying for the job it was to further his career but on finding out at interview stage that this would not be the correct move to further his career in the direction he requires

Cloverer Fri 03-May-13 08:44:12

I would go with NorthernLurker and just say that as he has found out more about the details of the job he's realised it isn't right for him at this time.

admylin Fri 03-May-13 08:42:05

I think maybe it's best if he states that it's a bad time to move the family and something about long term stability and leave the other reasons? He doesn't want to sound too fussy if he wants to maybe stay in touch for the future.

He just needs to reply saying that he found the job wasn't going to be what he had thought and so he's declined it. Might be a lesson to her that she can't recruit good staff if she isn't up front about the role and her aspirations for it.

dogsandcats Fri 03-May-13 08:24:57

Perhaps give a couple of reasons, but not 5?!

I think he reasons are perfectly valid, and why can't be just be honest about it, especially if he wants to keep that door open for future opportunities?

admylin Fri 03-May-13 08:15:14

Dh has declined a research job offer, very politely and thanked them for the opportunity, apologised for inconvenience caused etc all the standard stuff but the boss has written back asking why! I don't really think he has to tell her but he wants to keep communication going (thinking collaboration later maybe).
How can he politely put it? The reasons are that he doesn't like the idea of having to go on regular visits to another city 2 hours away to collect data and check on students. He doesn't like the fact that she's looking for another position herself (atleast he found that out through an ex-colleague and she confirmed it) and promises to take him with her if she gets one so can only give an initial 2 year contract now and the salary doesn't match his present pay! I don't think he should put too much detail but he doesn't want to NOT answer her.
He applied thinking it might be a promotion on his present job but it isn't.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now