Flexible Working options

(7 Posts)
wolfson2013 Mon 29-Apr-13 20:48:34

Hi all, I was just after a bit of advice.

I am a working mum working 5 days, and although I love working I really feel that I am missing out on so much being a mum. My Son starts school in September and I simply can't bear that the thought of never being at the school gates.

I really want a career but I also want to be a mum.

Does anyone know of any companies that are known for the flexible approach to working that might be worth approaching for a more flexible work life balance.

Many thanks

Is there any scope for changing your hours where you currently work? I work three days a week, and I am lucky enough to have flexitime at work so I can still do drop offs. DD goes to after school club and loves it.

stowsettler Tue 30-Apr-13 14:39:38

As a parent you can request flexible working in your existing job. Your employers will have to consider your request and will need a valid business reason to refuse. If you put a credible business case forward, and try to anticipate all their concerns, you would have a good chance of success.

Tultuli Fri 03-May-13 22:23:18

It depends on the role you do. If the role requires you to work at the set hours then it's tough luck as ur mgr can present a business case. But in the end I would say it's down to the line mgr to allow flexi timings...so, good luck!!

Champagnebubble Sat 04-May-13 14:01:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FairyPenguin Sat 04-May-13 14:11:41

Agree a well-thought out application could make all the difference. Whether you would be able to work from home if need be.

Somebody mentioned large companies but also consider very small companies and also jobs advertised as full-time. I know somebody who applied for a full-time job, but said she would actually prefer school hours and got the job as she was the best candidate. Someone else applied for a part-time job advertised as 3 days but negotiated it to 5 days but school hours. She thinks this was because they were a family firm, it was a new position, and they didn't think to advertise it as flexible.

Somebody else I know works 3 days, goes in after dropping off at school, takes her lunch break late to do the school run and take children to grandparents/friends house depending on the day, then works till 5:30.

There are lots of options if you are proactive and think about all the possible scenarios!

Champagnebubble Sun 05-May-13 00:46:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now