Those job adverts offering £7k+ pa for 2-3 days work per month...

(5 Posts)
Restorer Mon 29-Apr-13 12:45:11

You often see them in the Times or Sunday Times. Offering around £7k, sometimes a lot more, to sit on committees or advisory boards 2-3 days per month. A lot seem to be in the NHS or for regulatory organisations.

Do ordinary people every get them, or are they all already earmarked for the old boys network?

I've seen one that (according to the ad) fits my expertise, experience and qualifications perfectly and is in an area that is of great interest to me. My previous roles have been in junior/middle management though and although it doesn't say higher level experience is required, the remuneration suggests that they might be aiming higher? What do you think? Is there any point applying?

Also, they've given an email address and asked that people email to "express interest". What does this mean? One line saying you're interested, or a letter of application/CV?

Thank you, any advice will be very gratefully received.

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 29-Apr-13 13:28:47

If you have the skills/experience then go for it!

Sometimes committees/boards struggle to find women so that could also work for you (if you are female).

Are you already working? I do wonder if they want people with current experience unless you have 40 years experience/were a CEO.

There will be tax implications too if you are working.

I'd send your CV and a short email.

Good luck.

Restorer Mon 29-Apr-13 13:50:32

Thanks Margot

I took redundancy 18 months ago after 25 years. I've since been "spending time with my family" work on 2 volunteer projects (including as a committee member!) and have a very p-t, very junior paid job.

I'm not sure whether to mention the job. It is something very local to home and the hours a great for me and the family atm, but it was never intended to be long term. It was handy and it may be possible to develop it into a new career with further study, which I plan to start in Sept. The field is relevant to this advertised post, but it's at such a junior level, it's not going to impress anyone. The reality is that I'm actually doing much more than the pay/job requires and that suits me, as I'm gaining experience and it makes life more interesting.

If I don't mention it, I haven't worked for 18 mths

MrsMargoLeadbetter Mon 29-Apr-13 17:44:22

I might be wrong re the working. But anyway you are working. I personally would omit the job title and flesh out what you do. "Sell" the story of what you do esp as it is relevant to this role. "I took the role as it is relevant to my passion/area of expertise" it doesn't have to sound like a family friendly local role? They will only know what you tell them about the role.....

I would have the same concerns as you but I bet a typical man (sweeping generalisation here) wouldn't have the doubts we have and would just think "I can get that". You sound very suited to the role from what you have said.

I know this isn't a feminist battle for you (I don't think!) but Old Boys Networks needs to be broken down in a number of ways and women volunteering for high profile positions is one of them.

As an aside, I am in marketing for the charity sector and it astounds me how often conferences have all male panels/speakers talking about marketing in the charity sector, when both marketing & charities have a high % of females.

I think the thing is you need to put yourself out there to be seen as "a name" in your area, one board/commission position could then lead to another. And Gov/NHS probably have gender quotas which might also work in your favour.

Sorry completely derailing & imposing my views on you...

I'd definitely go for it, what do you have to loose?

Nedhead Tue 30-Apr-13 00:01:42

I've held half a dozen of these posts over the last decade and can promise you that I got each one by responding to an advert with no prior connection to the organisation.

When I got my first role I hadn't worked for five years but prior to that I was a solicitor.

Good luck with your application.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now