Professionally written CV- worth it?

(4 Posts)
MooMe Sun 28-Apr-13 17:06:50

Not particularly happy with my CV atm. Have tried improving it using online templates, and came across some CV writing services.
Just wondered if anyone had used one of these and if it's worth it? It would cost anything between 40-100£, but if it helps me to find a job that would be well worth it.

Thanks!

Depends...

Never exactly used one, but I went to a job fair a few years ago and they had a CV-writing service giving free advice. My CV was basically

Personal info
Summary of skills
Work history (reverse order)
Education

They told me my skills should go at the end (really? they are surely what people hire you for and should be on the first page) and I should list my hobbies. I'm in my 40's with over 20 years of professional experience to cram in, should I really make space to say how much I love line dancing or paragliding?

So based on that, I wouldn't bother!

headlesslambrini Sun 28-Apr-13 17:18:39

try the national careers service - they do them for free. You might not end up with a document which you are completely happy with but it will give you a good idea.

mylittlemonkey Sun 28-Apr-13 22:03:34

I would say it is definitely worth it, esp. In this climate when employers are getting hundreds of cvs for jobs. You need a well set out cv which is concise but effectively highlights your best attributes relevant to that job. It sounds simple but many of my friends have had their cv professionally written (all very senior professionally qualified people) and all have said worth every penny. DH has also just had his done paying well over double what you have quoted and we were really impressed with the results. If you can afford it I would definitely recommend it as a good investment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now