Covering shift which is longer than mine but not being paid the difference?

(6 Posts)
maxbradbury Thu 25-Apr-13 11:15:53

Hello hoping someone can help. I need a day off at work in June but unfortunately the holidays are full on that particular day. My manager said if I can get somebody to cover me and I would do their shift. I only work 5.5 hours a day and the lady I am swapping with work 8 hours a day. My manager said if we do swop shifts I would not be paid in the difference in hours. Are the allowed to do this?? Thank you .

ubik Thu 25-Apr-13 11:19:28

Our shift swapping system means we are paid at the rate of the shift you are swapping on to - but your shifts must be the same length.

It seems odd that they would Sllow you to swap shifts of differing lengths - and you would at least expect to be paid fir the hours you work. Do you have a union?

maxbradbury Thu 25-Apr-13 11:34:56

No we do not have a union. It is difficult as i am only person who works a 5.5 hour day. I was surprised that I wouldn't be paid the difference in hours but I do not want to rock the boat as I do need this day off and they could refuse as the holidays are full.

flowery Thu 25-Apr-13 12:12:09

The problem is you are not obliged to work the shift, it would be your choice.

They have to make sure you are paid at least minimum wage but if your normal hourly rate is above that, then doing 3 hours without pay probably wouldn't take you below minimum wage overall.

I imagine their difficulty is that your colleague is unwilling to swap if it leaves her out of pocket (fair enough) so they are having to pay her 8 hours even though she'll only work 5.5, which means if they pay you 8 hours as well, rearranging things so you can have a day off will leave them out of pocket.

I think it's basically going to be up to you and how much you need this particular day off - as you say, they can say no.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 25-Apr-13 12:39:14

In addition to what flowery said as you yourself posted the holidays are full they have suggested another solution to accommodate you. Many, many employers would have just said no.

maxbradbury Thu 25-Apr-13 13:08:10

Thank you all for your help. I think I'll just do the shift and keep quietsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now