Don't know what to do !

(13 Posts)
agirlcalledsandoz Thu 18-Apr-13 12:50:43

I currently work full time as when I returned from maternity leave my flexible working request was refused. Have been looking for something part time as it is too much, tired all the time and never see DD hmm I got offered a job today that is really good, exactly what I am looking for and with an excellent company to work for. The only thing is is is a temp contract for about 8 months. They said not to worry, this is how they take in all their staff and have a high percentage of temp people going permanent and during this time can apply for a permanent role within the company ( it's a large organisation ) not sure what to do as it's killing me working full time but my job just now is stable - would I be silly to leave it when not guaranteed a permanent role ? So confused, also my PILs look after DD when I am at work but it's getting too much for them and was only agreed they would do this until I found a part time job. Don't know what to do shockshockshockshock

FadBook Thu 18-Apr-13 12:54:12

Take the job. Part time is hard to come by.

Secondly, the new(ish) ruling for claiming unfair dismissal is now that you must have 2 years service. This, as such, makes many some organisations fairly relaxed on temp vs permanent contracts because actually it is still quite easy and straight forward to "let someone go". So, even if you found a permanent role, you still have a probationary period and another 18 months whereby they could 'disperse' of you if they wanted to.

You also have 8 months to show them that you are a keeper! grin

Good luck

Twitterqueen Thu 18-Apr-13 12:54:36

Go for it. I was offered a 7-month contract with a v large s/w company. Six and half year's later I left - at my choice.

current role also started as temporary (11 month) contract, now permanent.

TeaJennyMum Thu 18-Apr-13 12:58:34

Wow - what a dilemma! I have been allowed to do part-time hours now, with my 3rd, but wasn't allowed with my 1st 2 and is tough to do full days. Every experience is different, but looking back I wish I hadn't struggled on with full-time for so long. We all need the money, but the stress takes it's toll, especially when you are relying on family. Do the sums, but if you can manage, be brave...you're children are little for such a short time smile

agirlcalledsandoz Thu 18-Apr-13 13:22:18

My gut is telling me to go for it. Know I will do well at the job and surely that is what they are looking for. It's worrying though.

Stevie77 Thu 18-Apr-13 13:38:56

Is that true FadBook?

So if Someone starts a job and not long after the end of the probationary period announce They're pregnant, in theory the employer wouldn't even have to find a proper excuse to 'dispose' of them? That's nasty.

Mutley77 Thu 18-Apr-13 14:02:33

Just do it - as someone else said they are only young once and it is a considered risk worth taking IMO.

I had to do a similar thing (was working PT and it was another PT role but much less stress and better work/life balance) - changed to the temp role and then got pg with number 2! My contract was due to finish before I could start mat leave so I was v anxious - my boss was great and agreed to extend the contract to mat leave which meant I also got SMP. Ok I wasn't in as great a position as in my previous job but it was enough to cover us and I then found another job when my DS was 1 - again luckily fell into a near perfect situation despite being worried I would never find another PT job - often I think things happen for a reason.

flowery Thu 18-Apr-13 14:14:44

Stevie77 there is a whole list of exceptions to the two year rule (which is not new in itself, it's just extended from one year as it was previously), and pregnancy is one of them. So while an employer can dismiss most people in most circumstances easily during the first two years, they can't dismiss for any reason that is discriminatory, or any reason linked to exercising a statutory right, or similar.

So sacking someone for being pregnant is always illegal, even if someone's only been there a day.

FadBook Thu 18-Apr-13 14:39:00

Thanks Flowery smile couldn't have explained it better myself.

Stevie77 Thu 18-Apr-13 14:42:55

Thanks flowery. I understand that, of course, sacking someone due to them being pregnant at any stage of their employment is illegal. What I meant was that it seems like certain employers would find it easier to find a legal excuse to sack a pregnant lady, knowing she couldn't claim unfair dismissal.

flowery Thu 18-Apr-13 15:01:41

Not really. Only a suicidal employer would sack a pregnant woman without a very solid other reason for doing so, regardless of how long she'd been there, as if there was any hint of the pregnancy being anything to do with it, they'd be in trouble,

NoWayPedro Thu 18-Apr-13 15:19:38

Being pg is about as safe as your job will ever be! Whilst on maternity leave and thereafter however...

agirlcalledsandoz Fri 19-Apr-13 18:46:46

Update - have decided to go for it and take the job. Just feel I can't turn it down after struggling on for months full time. Looking forward to it wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now