No promotion because I am pregnant?

(15 Posts)
tazmo Wed 19-Jun-13 15:15:33

Cool but blatant discrimination! If he does it again remind him you won't be pregnant all your life and you are a long term investment!!!

Bumply Tue 18-Jun-13 23:08:58

Well done

sicutlilium Tue 18-Jun-13 22:32:28

Result!

Nopromotion Tue 18-Jun-13 20:58:06

Hello again, just wanted to update this thread with what happened.
I have now been told that I am going to get the HoD position, and will also be made deputy section head.
The original conversation has not been mentioned again, and no doubt won't be, but the outcome was what I wanted, and he came to his senses. I am glad I went back and said what I did.
Thank you all for your support.

Keep notes of what was said. If he doesn't give yo the promotion he has said you owuld have got except for your pregnancy then see a solicitor.

tribpot Thu 11-Apr-13 20:27:46

I think as well as being an illegal and stupid decision, it's worth highlighting (as you have) that he's effectively making a poor business decision. If you're the right person for the job, he should offer you the job. In four years' time, does he want to be stuck with this bloke in the role just because you were absent for 9 months?

Nopromotion Thu 11-Apr-13 20:23:51

Thank you for all your thoughts by the way!

Nopromotion Thu 11-Apr-13 20:21:03

Figgygal, he is the CEO and chairman of the board. There is no superior. And HR is in his pocket. (Plus I had a run in with her a while back and she has held a grudge)

hermioneweasley Thu 11-Apr-13 20:20:15

I think all you can do is fight for it, as you are doing. In the meantime, make a note of the exact conversation, as much details as you can- timings, exact phrases etc. are there any people who might have seen you afterwards and noticed you were angry. Can you keep this thread (or print it) as evidence?

Nopromotion Thu 11-Apr-13 20:19:16

Blankiefan, it is not a large organisation. He will have discussed it with her, I actually saw him in her office before I spoke to her. But I bet he didn't tell her what he was going to say to me!

Figgygal Thu 11-Apr-13 20:18:50

Raise a grievance against him with his superior or your HR team see it all the way through the process and hopefully you will get the promotion and he will get a massive bollocking!!

Nopromotion Thu 11-Apr-13 20:17:32

Thanks. I did wonder whether to go back or not. But I wanted to have my say! I think the HR lady would have killed him if she had heard him. It certainly is discrimination, but verbally, behind closed door. So nothing I could do legally, even if I wanted to go down that road, which I don't.

But I do want the promotion!

Blankiefan Thu 11-Apr-13 20:14:25

That's awful. You've been treated very poorly - and illegally. Your boss clearly has no clue as he's left himself wide open (unless he lies about what he said). I'm appalled.

Is it a large organisation? if so, go to HR.

badguider Thu 11-Apr-13 20:01:26

Wow! All I can say is well done for the quick thinking and I really hope he does give you the position with the other bloke a temporary fill-in.

I don't think I would have thought to suggest that so quickly as I would have been fuming so much at the discrimination.

I don't know what to suggest if he doesn't do as you suggested.. it is discrimination, very obviously, but only verbally to you with no evidence to back you up. And you probably don't want to sour your relationship with him.... hmm....

Nopromotion Thu 11-Apr-13 19:55:17

I announced my pregnancy last week. I am 13 weeks pregnant. I know I didn't need to say at this stage, but am starting to show.
So, my CEO, with whom I normally have a good relationship, asked me in for a chat.
After the usual congrats etc, he said it was really bad timing, as he had been going to make me Head of Department. But because I was pregnant, he was now going to give it to someone else, who he named. He said that I was the preferred choice, but apart from this chap he couldn't think who else could do it, and asked me what I thought. He also asked me what I would do in his shoes. He also told me how well I was thought of and that there would definitely be a role for me in some capacity when I returned from maternity leave.
Anyway, the conversation moved on to other matters. However, after I left the room, I was frankly fuming at being told I would have got this job but now I wouldn't be getting it because of the timing. So I knocked on his door again and asked him what decision he would have made if I had announced my pregnancy after he had given me the job. He said he would have made the same decision. So I said, you mean you would have demoted me and put this other chap in my place? Oh no, he said. I wouldn't have demoted you. So I asked what the difference was, and what he wanted long term. If he wanted me in the position long term then he should should appoint me to the position despite the pregnancy and then have the other person cover for me in a temporary capacity. Just as he would have done if I had been in the position. He said I had given him more to think about, and we left it there. He said he would discuss with me before announcing any decisions.

I won't bring it up with him again until this conversation arises, but I am frankly fuming. Any ideas as how to handle this?

Frankly, I work in a shrinking industry and finding another equivalent position elsewhere wouldn't be straightforward, and a HoD role somewhere else very unlikely. The previous HoD left 6 months ago and hasn't found a new position.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now