Passport for Job interview. Help!

(14 Posts)
KittyLilith Wed 27-Mar-13 15:26:14

I have a job interview next month but they need to see either my passport or a full birth certificate to confirm eligibility to work in the UK. I don't have these things. My passport was stolen and I haven't replaced it so all I have is my old one in my maiden name with the corners cut off. Is this good enough to prove anything or will I have to fork out the £100 for a quickie new one? I looked into getting a birth certificate instead but it won't arrive in time.

FoofFighter Wed 27-Mar-13 15:27:25

Replacement birth cert ordered online should only take a few days (well a few days more with Easter) if you order it today it should be here by end of next week though.

OddBoots Wed 27-Mar-13 15:30:39

Phone them and explain, many places would give you an offer that is conditional on you proving your eligibility to work in the UK before starting so that would buy you some time. Maybe offer your last P60 in the mean time?

KittyLilith Wed 27-Mar-13 15:31:01

Thanks FoofFighter but I've just checked online and it says they send it 15 days after receipt of application so with Easter I doubt it would get here before the interview. sad

KittyLilith Wed 27-Mar-13 15:33:09

OddBoots I am so bloody awkward but I don't have a P60 either. I've been a student for the last five years. I was trying to avoid phoning them and making myself stand out as the awkward one.

A replacement birth certificate would still be in your maiden name. You just need to include any documents that prove change of name, such as marriage cert, deed poll etc.

FoofFighter Wed 27-Mar-13 15:53:01

I got mine at the start of the year and it took 7 days. The sooner you get it ordered the sooner it's here ;)

When is your interview? Have you asked the employer for advise (ie can you interview and then bring in the ID when it arrives?)

FoofFighter Wed 27-Mar-13 15:53:08

*advice

TakingTheStairs Wed 27-Mar-13 15:57:58

The expired one should be fine for the moment until you can get a new one.
I ask people to provide them when they start in my office and I'll accept an expired one on the proviso that an up date one will be forthcoming in the next couple of weeks.

Do you have a driving licence? It says country of birth on line 3 on the card, so you could supply that too as a back up.

KittyLilith Wed 27-Mar-13 16:01:06

The interview is on the 19th. The birth certificate thing is odd too. I have had two different ones and I'm not sure how to do the application. The one issued at birth was in my mum's maiden name (I've not actually seen this one but my mum thinks she shouldn't still have a copy) and then there's the one from when my parents married a few years later. I have a short copy of that but I need a full one. I don't know which surname or year to put in to request a new certificate.

KittyLilith Wed 27-Mar-13 16:01:50

And I'm really sorry I feel like I'm just complaining about all the suggestions that ou are all being kind enough to give me.

KittyLilith Wed 27-Mar-13 16:03:58

I do have a driving licence but it's not on the list of acceptable items that they gave me unfortunately. I think I'll have to ask them about using the expired one with my marriage certificate as proof of name change. I need a new passport at some point anyway I just don't want to have to pay for the premium service.

FoofFighter Wed 27-Mar-13 16:29:08

19th is plenty of time! and just put one of the two in, doesn't matter which (would probably go for the second one)

Trazzletoes Wed 27-Mar-13 16:38:01

An expired British passport should be ok in the short term, although they will need proof of your current citizenship.

Though its extremely unlikely that you would have renounced your British citizenship in the meantime (but its a possibility hence why you need an up to date one).

NB. I don't know your year of birth (obviously) OP, but country of birth (as on driving licence) is not necessarily proof of citizenship.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now