Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Manager's constant nit picking is giving

(4 Posts)
UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 19-Mar-13 22:21:07

Yes, ask him directly if he is questioning your competence.

I had one of those and it worked for me.

She backed down pretty quickly.

acrabadabra Tue 19-Mar-13 18:30:22

Can you just ask him why he appears to be suddenly unsure of your competence?

Easier said than done, I know but being direct generally means you'll get a straight answer, though it might not be sugar coated.

Just a thought but, maybe something has happened to him which means he's lost confidence in himself and he's projecting? Does he have a new boss or change in circumstances?

Bumblequeen Tue 19-Mar-13 17:46:18

Title should read manager's constant nit picking is giving me anxiety

Bumblequeen Tue 19-Mar-13 17:44:55

He has always been particular and a perfectionist but lately his behaviour has become worse.

These are the kind of conversations we have;

"Am I down to present at the conference?"
"No, I have not been informed of this"
"I am sure I am, an officer mentioned it earlier"

"Who has confirmed their attendance at such and such meeting?"
On giving the updates list of names
"Did they definitely confirm? If so, how recently?" You are definitely sure they are coming?"

"So and so has not arrived for my meeting. Did you give them the correct venue details?
It is very strange they are not yet here"

I feel so undermined and my confidence is diminishing. I have worked for him over 5 years, he knows what I am capable of.

I am constantly being second guessed. Whatever answer I give is not good enough, hence the interrogation that follows.

I have been looking for another job.

I have worked with him long enough and my appraisals/progress meetings are always positive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now