Employment lawyer - please recommend a good one

(7 Posts)
bunnybb Tue 19-Mar-13 15:04:02

Fed up..thanks for the advice, definitely agree with you. I want to stay there until I find another job but make my point and send strong letter to HR about boss's pattern of being a difficult person.
I will send you a PM.

Also keep notes of everything.

When I had a difficult boss and realised that things weren't going to improve, I put all my efforts into finding a new job. When I found one, I took great pleasure in sending a 13 page letter of resignation telling said boss exactly what I thought of him. Financially, it was worth sending.

Before you involve lawyers, think exactly what you want to achieve. If you are claiming constructive dismissal, how much realistically would you get if you won? Can you afford to pay the fees? While people read the headlines and think that they can sue companies for lots of money, in reality the payouts are pretty low - around £6k is the average I think, although Flowery may well have a better handle on that. It is a lot easier to rack up £6k of costs than to win £6k.

Good luck - he does sound horrendous.

bunnybb Tue 19-Mar-13 13:31:17

Hi, I have raised several issues with HR- but now will officially raise a grievance as I feel manager is being unecessarily difficult hence I would like legal input and send a strong letter and make sure the other issues are on record.

would like to continue working until I find another job. but work in peace!

flowery Tue 19-Mar-13 13:02:43

You need to raise a grievance first about his behaviour, and I'd also recommend you think about what outcome you actually want from taking action, as once you start involving lawyers it can be a bit 'no turning back'.

Hopefully someone will have a lawyer recommendation for you. All the employment lawyers I know in London wouldn't be what you're looking for, but someone else may have a recommendation.

bunnybb Tue 19-Mar-13 12:41:31

Flowery- thanks for advice, basically after an employment lawyer in London as we are based in South East London.

Basically when I returned from maternity leave, I was working from home on Fridays full days - this was approved by HR and Dir.
New manager joined after a year and he was not happy that I made a request for flexible working - work 3.5 hours on Friday as my son was undergoing Speech and Language Therapy on Fridays (following diagnosis of autism). He declined my request giving reasons which were non-exixtent - I sought legal advice and challened his decision and won my case on appeal. I work half days from home on Fridays.

Ever since manager makes my life difficult to prove he was right to refuse the working from home. He often refuses my request for leave when I have to take my son to consultant and when I challenge, he eventually accepts the request.

Recently he has declined to sign an important form for me - he has no grounds to refuse - he is just making things difficult as usual. I need to take the matter further as I have had enough of his games!

flowery Tue 19-Mar-13 11:56:01

It might be helpful to run the details past people on here first if you can.

"A pattern of being difficult" suggests to me it might be a bit early to instruct a solicitor. Have you raised a grievance about whatever the problem is, for example?

Anyway, even if you don't feel you want to share some details on here, can you tell us what area you are - there's little point people recommending a good employment lawyer in Devon if you are in Glasgow, for example...

bunnybb Mon 18-Mar-13 23:33:20

I need some advice for a potential case against manager at work - manager has a clear pattern of being difficult since my return from maternity leave.Need urgent advice from a very good employment lawyer, please recommend. Ready to take action now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now