Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Maternity pay calculated incorrectly by employer

(8 Posts)
Ollibobs Sun 17-Mar-13 12:51:47

Thanks for all your advice ladies. Much appreciated.

twinklytoes Sun 17-Mar-13 07:56:48

I wonder if it has something to do with the SMP component, am assuming you are getting more than SMP.

I say this, as a colleague opted for 12 equal payments but in reality it meant she had less to start with and got more in the final months. Our understanding was that they couldn't touch the SMP bit of her pay because that has to be paid when it's due not divided by 12. Maybe this is why your figures aren't as they said they were but you'll have more later on in your maternity leave?

CheungFun Fri 15-Mar-13 18:03:14

Have you checked the calculation yourself if you're not sure about your payrolls advice?

If they have given you the wrong calculation in the past and now given you the correct calculation which is lower there isn't really anything you can do about it afaik.

Ollibobs Fri 15-Mar-13 15:39:26

The thing is, the correct figures are for about £130 a month LESS than originally quoted.
Payroll told me in writing in January that I would get more each month, and have only told me today that it was " human error" and I would be paid LESS.

CheungFun Fri 15-Mar-13 15:35:57

I work in payroll, if you give them a ring or email them someone can recheck the calculations. If there has been a mistake it's very easy to put right, either by paying the arrears through the next payroll or processing a bacs or chaps transfer directly to your account which takes 1-3 days.

Ollibobs Fri 15-Mar-13 15:32:55

Thanks Box. Payroll have admitted human error.... Worried that there is nothing I can do...

boxoftricks Fri 15-Mar-13 15:23:27

Badger payroll. My best friend works in payroll and deals with things like this all the time. Ring HR up, ask to be put through. Someone will work it out for you correctly, and it can be quite easily back payed.

Ollibobs Fri 15-Mar-13 15:21:18

Hello,
I started maternity leave this week due to a pregnancy-related illness and have had my contractual mat pay/SMP recalculated by payroll as I have chosen to be paid in equal instalments over the next 12 months.
However, the figures came back about £130 a month less than I had been originally quoted by the company in January by Payroll.
After querying this, it turns out the January calculations were incorrect.
Do I have any rights here? In January, I double checked the figures were accurate and was reassured they were.
It seems a bit unfair to find out there was a mistake and I will be paid less after I have already started my leave.
It now works out to be about £3,000 less.
Can anyone help?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now