Considering full-time after 10 years F/T but worried about effect on dcs

(6 Posts)

Thanks for replies. I see a pattern emerging...!
Trouble is dh is a nurse (but not on shifts) so working from home not an option for him. Nor for me. If I take this promotion the understanding is that hours are longer. But I do think that if I do we'll at interview I could put a request in for one earlyish finish per week -so I might be able to pick dd1 up from school the day we don't have childcare.

I'm wondering if our CM might agree to slightly longer hours when necessary. She's had them both since they were 12m old and they adore her. That at least would make me feel less guilty about not being with them so much at tea-time.

I hope - if I get it - they are considerate family-friendly employers!

MistyB Fri 15-Mar-13 10:33:22

It sounds like now is the time!!! Go for it!

Can your partner help smooth the ride a bit at least to start with? Working from home one day a week? perhaps between you, you can stagger your start and finish times? With a large pay rise, perhaps you can use some of it to 'buy' things that will make your / your DC's life a bit easier, after school housekeeper, local student / nursery worker whose normal hours finish around 3 that can be in the house in the afternoons and take them to activities?

Depending on how you feel the application process is going, perhaps you can negotiate one early finish a week?

There are ways......

NK2b1f2 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:59:05

I'd go for it. Those opportunities don't come along every day! If FT doesn't work out after a few months you can always try to negotiate going back down to 4 days, but at least you'd already be in the better job. Good luck!

Rockchick1984 Fri 15-Mar-13 09:57:01

I think you should go for it! Your DC's are old enough to understand if you explain it to them, and for them to understand the changes to their routine.

Once you have been there a while is it the sort of job where you could negotiate early start and shorter lunch so you can finish earlier if you wanted to? DH could do breakfast and school run and you would be home earlier once or twice a week?

Obviously thread title should say P/T

Dcs are 11 & 7. Dd1 is due to start secondary school in Sept.

I've worked p/t since having dd1 and I'm now on 4 days p/w. This suited me perfectly especially as my dad became ill 4 yrs ago and I was p/t carer for him then was able to spend my day off with him when he went into a nursing home. He died 2 years last June and I think I was grieving and getting my head together for the 1st year or so.

Work was really supportive, very flexible and gave me opportunities to get back to speed at my own pace. However, in the past 6 months I really feel like I've got my mojo back. I've been developing loads of stuff at work & I feel ready for promotion. However, there's nothing doing at my current place. I'm actually twiddling my thumbs a bit on my day off with both kids at school and although a lot of my friends think I'm mad, I've been considering full-time so I can look for another job. I love my work and I feel like I've got lots to give. I'm 44 so I've still got plenty of years left!

Low and behold my dream job has been advertised! It's about 12 miles away (my current job is literally on my doorstep - mega-convenient for childcare but maybe all a bit cosy & parochial now); it's a big promotion; the job literally has my name on it and the people at the other place have made no bones about the fact they rate me.

It would be loads more money (but that's not my priority although it might allow dh to drop a day); very hard work but also really exciting and challenging.

I'm a bit worried about the dds though. They're used to seeing a lot of me and I love being there for them. Dd1 would probably have to be a latchkey kid at least a few nights a week and dd2 in childcare till 6. I know I sound pathetic - loads of families and kids cope perfectly well with f/t work and wraparound childcare; it just constitutes a big change for us. I didn't have a mum when I was dd1's age; my dad worked long hours and I remember being a bit feral and wishing for a welcoming house to go back to every night.

Any words of encouragement/reassurance?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now