First pay check date - is this normal and shouls I complain?

(7 Posts)
allibaba Wed 13-Mar-13 14:54:29

I'm starting a new job on 8th April. It was meant to be 1st April til they realised it was a bank holiday.

The company normally pay salary on 15th of the month. My start date letter today says that I won't be paid til 15th May!! So 6 weeks no pay, I have nursery bills for 2 kids to pay at the start of april and may which I now cannot afford because of this.

I don't want to bad a impression before I've started but am I within my right to complain and ask for this to be changed?

Thanks for reading!

LIZS Wed 13-Mar-13 14:58:31

I'm guessing you will have missed the cut off for the payroll run so yes , normal. All you can do is request an advance for that first week's money.

Happiestinwellybobs Wed 13-Mar-13 15:08:17

In my organisation, there is a cut off point for payroll, however starting on the 8th would be enough time to process you where i work. However companies are all different. What we always do if a new starter misses the payroll, is to offer payment at the end of the first month via cheque. This also resolves the issue of people starting, getting paid for the month and then never returning - it does happen!

So I wouldn't complain as such, but appeal to their good nature and ask for payment for April at the end of April.

allibaba Wed 13-Mar-13 15:16:27

Thank you for the posts. I will ask and see what they can do smile

Ellypoo Wed 13-Mar-13 17:00:55

Starting 1 week before the payroll date would def miss our cut off too, although if a new starter was struggling with this, then I would arrange an advance to help them through.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 13-Mar-13 17:11:38

I started one week before pay day and had to wait as well. But worth trying to contact them.

slowco4ch Wed 13-Mar-13 17:17:53

I'm afraid that would be perfectly normal in most places when you are paid on the 15th as it tends to be two weeks in advance and two weeks in arrears to be paid for the month you're in…IYSWIM. I will say though, most companies will be understanding that you might need a little advance to see you through the initial nursery fees etc. Don't ask, don't get! Good luck in the new job!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now