Sick pay whilst on annual leave?

(7 Posts)
eve34 Mon 04-Mar-13 13:52:19

I had a fall 3 weeks ago and broke my hip. I was on my last 3 weeks of mat leave. I now have 5 weeks annual leave booked.

I am frustrated that I can not spend the last 8 weeks with the children as I had hoped. I also know that the charity I work for is small and taking extra leave will add further strain to the team.

I understand that I can replace my annual leave with sick pay? For 4 weeks if I have read it right? I can carry these four weeks forward into new leave year. 1st April.

I would like the dr to sign me off the 8 weeks he offered and to then take 4 weeks leave and keep 5th week to take at later date (this is from year 2013/14 entitlement)

Does this sound reasonable/fair/allowed?

I don't want to upset my employer but really do feel cheated out of my leave.

Also if I took it as sick would I be paid my actual salary?

Many thanks for any advice

Cremolafoam Mon 04-Mar-13 13:57:57

Talk to personnel . They will know what you can and cannot do. There will probably be a limit to the number if hours you can carry over into next year thoughwink

eve34 Mon 04-Mar-13 14:07:46

Thank you for the quick reply. As I said we are very small organisation. I really don't want to cause ructions if I have no rights to do this. So if I alert them it will be my line manager/CE who will manage the request.

Would like to know So that it doesnt look like i am trying to pull a fast one and make myself look like I'm squeezing leave out of them I'm not entitled too.

GrendelsMum Mon 04-Mar-13 16:07:03

I don't know if it's any help, but if we've already booked the time off as leave, we don't get to claim it as sick (also working for a charity). Rather annoying if you are ill, but that's how it goes.

On the other hand, I can see that you're in a bit of an unusual situation, so perhaps they'd be willing to be flexible?

eve34 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:24:12

My first contract stated that if you were sick whilst on annual leave it was tough. I understand the law has now changed as annual leave is so employees are rested. Being off sick is not rested.

Just wondered if anyone had experience in this area. Thank you for replying though.

GrendelsMum Mon 04-Mar-13 19:01:19

Oh I see - its this piece of EU legislation, isn't it?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-18534028

You would have to follow sick procedures, such as phoning in on your first day off sick (first day of annual leave) to be entitled, I believe, but as long as you have followed this then as i understand it you can change your annual leave to sick. It's not something employers are ever happy about though.

Whether you get anything other than SSP for the period will depend on your company policy. Are you usually paid for days off sick?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now