Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

How to negotiate salary in a new role?

(4 Posts)
mulranno Wed 27-Feb-13 21:01:47

I have been offered a new job - in a role that I have been freelancing at for 6 months -- I want to negotiate hard - what is the best way to do this? I know the pay bands...is it just a tooing anf froing situation/stand-off. Do I need to come back with rationale for upping the rate.

DevaDiva Wed 27-Feb-13 22:11:49

Sorry no advice, I'm crap at this bit marking place as I'm hoping I'll be doing this soon. Good luck grin

MaryMotherOfCheeses Wed 27-Feb-13 22:13:53

You will need a rationale for it yes.

Do they ever pay top of the band? Do they have a policy of only paying the median?

HoneyandRum Thu 28-Feb-13 21:42:11

Ask for a lot more than you hope to get - if you have to name a figure. Once a figure is mentioned they will try and get you down from there. Ask for everything, if they have offered you the job they want you - the ball is in your court. You can also get books on negotiation. Just ask for top dollar - you know a man would. I found out a few times that I was being paid more than colleagues with more education and experience. That was because I always asked for more money at interview when I was offered the job! Sounds simple but most women don't do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now