Can my work make me attend awayday outside my working hours?

(16 Posts)
Norrsken Wed 27-Feb-13 14:38:46

I work locally part-time 5 hrs/day during school hours. I have 2 DD ages 2 and 6. My work have arranged an awayday which will last all day between 9-5. This is meant to be a teambuilding exercise, but in reality the afternoon will be spent in a pub chosen by work, and any reference to the awayday by management is a 'hrr hrr we'll all get pissed' way. No-one is allowed to take annual leave on the awayday

I do not want to go to this awayday. Firstly I have no interest in getting pissed - and I coulnd't anyway as I'm driving to pick up DDs. Secondly I can't get anyone to look after DD6. The after school club has a waiting list and my friends are working. Even if the school had a space I wouldn't want to put her in after school care for just one day for something that isn't work related, just a piss-up session.

My manager had words with me when I told her I cant stay until 5 due to lack of childcare. I told her I can stay until 4 as DD has an extra hour Arts & Craft after school that day. My manager told me no-one is allowed annual leave and the awayday finished as 5. As I see it, I'm not requesting annual leave, I'm just asking that I attend for what is my normal working hours.

Can work make me attend this away-day, which is outside my normal working hours? They offer to pay for any additional childcare cost incurred.

I work for a 'family-oriented' organisation. What a joke.

Prawntoast Wed 27-Feb-13 14:43:23

speak to your HR dept. I work short days and on away days, I've have attended all day but only because I'm not stuck for after school care but I have had other time off in lieu. It will be depend on what your contract states, to be honest if the afternoon is spent in the pub you aren't going to be missing much!

TheSecondComing Wed 27-Feb-13 14:43:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Could your DD go on a play date?

I used to work part time but was always willing to change my hours/days to join in teambuilding events. I suppose it depends on your relationship with the company. If you have no other support then it does seem unfair.

Norrsken Wed 27-Feb-13 15:10:49

Thank you. My contract does statew that I'm required to work extra hours if necessary, so I haven't got a leg to stand on. I would happily do extra hours if needed for work purposes. It just annoys me when work come down so hard on me for not being able to make the last hour of a pub session.

I've been a model employee - not a day off sick since I started 18 months ago and I only took 2 days off when DD was off school for 6 days with chickenpox.

Fedup: unfortunately none of my friends are available that day.

TheSecondComing Wed 27-Feb-13 15:13:22

Norrsken Wed 27-Feb-13 15:20:16

Thesecondcoming: sorry, that's what I meant. DD has 3 friends but all busy that day. DP can't do it as he works for a tiny company and he's needed that day.

I will try to think of something. It just seems I'm moving heaven & earth to pawn off DD to anyone, which doesn't seen fair to her, just for an hour in the pub.

LeChatRouge Wed 27-Feb-13 21:38:57

Can't you go along, join in, contribute during the task oriented sessions, chat to everyone, go to pub.....and then whisper to the boss that you have had a great time, thank her for good organising or whatever she has done and tell her you have to leave, don't make a fuss and just go? That's what would happen where I work, the mums would just leave when they had to!

Norrsken Thu 28-Feb-13 08:47:08

lechat I would be happy to do that, I just though it would be better to pre-warn my boss that I wanted to leave at 4. That's when she had words with me and told me the event was compulsory. In not trying to skive off the whole day, I just like to leave an hour early. I wouldn't miss out on anything as everyone would be in the pub.

My work is keen on these 'bonding' events and I've attended all other events for the full day, its just this one time I'm stuck for childcare. I upsets me that my work shows so little understanding for my situation.

LadyWidmerpool Thu 28-Feb-13 09:00:10

Sneak out at four. I doubt anyone would notice if they've been drinking all afternoon. Alternatively hire the most expensive nanny you can find since they are picking up the tab.

bran Thu 28-Feb-13 09:14:10

Norrsken Thu 28-Feb-13 10:39:08

Thank you for the replies. I agree, snealing off might be the best plan of action. Although now I've told them of my intentions they might be keeping a close beer-goggled eye on me!

cupcakemumma Wed 06-Mar-13 09:46:24

At 4pm, come down with "an upset tummy" ;)

Crinkle77 Wed 06-Mar-13 15:51:44

I think you boss is being really mean. It's not like you're skiving off the whole day and have said you can stay till 4. They can't force you to stay and seeing as it is just a piss up in a pub anyway I don't see why they are making a big deal of it.

SwedishEdith Wed 06-Mar-13 21:49:41

Hate awaydays. Arrange for someone to ring you with an "emergency"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now