Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional insurance of anyone posting on Mumsnet and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have an employment dispute and need professional advice, please contact your union, the Citizen's Advice Bureau or a solicitor.

Am I entitled to paid compassionate leave?

(6 Posts)
Movingforward123 Fri 15-Feb-13 14:46:28

I've been in my current job for 6 months. My grandad passed away and I had to go to the funeral. Am I entitled to paid compassionate leave? My boss said I could take it as holiday if I wanted to be paid.

But my work colleague said that I should be able to get paid compassionate leave. Very confused shock

I think it's discretionary. We can take up to 3 days paid compassionate leave for immediate family members, but have to take annual / unpaid leave around that. Your employer should have a policy, which may stipulate how close a relative the person has to be for you to qualify for paid leave. It may be that your grandfather, unless he brought you up or something similar, may not be a close enough blood relative to get paid leave. For us, it would be immediate family / parents etc.

Pancakeflipper Fri 15-Feb-13 14:51:27

We get the day for the funeral but if want other days off then it is annual leave.

HeyHeySaturday Fri 15-Feb-13 14:56:18

Normal policy across companies I've worked for is one day paid for family (with up to a week for immediate family). Unpaid or holiday for other funerals.

Grandparent would normally be a day or two paid.

flowery Fri 15-Feb-13 15:04:07

You're not legally entitled to any paid compassionate leave, no. Many companies have a policy of a day or two, so check your employers handbook or policies. Paid compassionate leave is often limited to immediate family though, ie parents, siblings, spouse, children.

missingmumxox Sun 17-Feb-13 03:59:23

it is discresionary and oddly I didn't get compasionate leave at all as both my parents died over a weekend and I had leave booked already in advance which covered the funeral and arrangements ... my Mum always said I was spooky, and unlike sick when on annual leave compasionate isn't replacable, so I used my leave up...
I worked for the NHS so pretty tight rules.
My Grandad is still alive and was given 6 months max to live over a year ago, discaharged from hospital in Oct 12 to die with his family and is still with us, smile but I would demand compassionate if I wasn't on leave like my parents as he and my gran co parented with my mum and dad when I was a child, as in I spent the first 18 months of my life living with them and only going home on my parents days off together, so about once every 2 months, as my parents worked shifts and when only one was off they came to Gran and Grandads rather than home.
I spent every holiday I can remember at theirs, full time, as in Mum would drive us from the midlands to kent for the holiday and pick us up at the end.
on that note I did get compassionate from the NHS for my Grans funeral, but I worked the early fully after I had been phoned and told she had died at 10.30.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now